Author Topic: Slump  (Read 2251 times)

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
Slump
« on: June 03, 2013, 02:47:28 am »
I am in a scrolling slump. At least I think thats what you could call it.  I have not been out to the garage in almost 2 months now and the awful thing is I don't want to go.  Yes I have a project that I want to do, its a Sue Mey pattern but I just can't be bothered.  Yet I'm feeling guilty because the project is for my husband.  No I'm not depressed, no its not the weather because I have a pretty good heater out there, I just don't know what the problem is.  Originally it was because I was so busy with life, doctors, running around for my husband, running around for my daughters and running around for myself but not now everything as calmed down and I am stuck in the house reading a book, not even a really good book. LOL  Do you ever get like this and does it go away?

Marg 
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Robert Phillips

Re: Slump
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 06:09:20 am »
Hi Marg

Yea I get that was sometimes and yea it does go away sometimes RL gets in the way of the hobby. Just ride out the storm and the passion will return.

Rob

thumbs

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 07:11:30 am »
Marg, been there,done that--I think we all have--I cut most of my items for gifts. When I see my wives eye light up when I show her something-that gets me back going-another thing is I don't really care to do more than one of a kind--when I have to do several cuttings of the same thing, I start to feel as though it is a job instead of a hobby--I hope you get back to felling like cutting soon--Best regards, Richard--we need a asmiley face for group hugs

Offline chelcass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 11:45:41 am »
Hey Marge, I have been in your place also.  I do scrolling as the mood strikes me.  Sometime I scroll item after item, usually during holidays when I need to get stuff done and then I quit and go onto something else.   Since I have may hobbies, stained glass, scrolling, woodburning etc I just pick another hobby till the scrolling bug bites me again.  We all go thru this, I just our brain just says *enough* time to do something else or nothing at all. 
ChelCass

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 12:50:52 pm »
I was sick with a sinus infection the whole month of March and did not do any wood working. It has been really hard for me to get back into the mood to. I am right there with ya.  ;)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 03:55:02 pm »
It is like exercising, sometimes it is hard to get into the mood. The intention is good and it is something you want to do but ya have to get motivated. Good luck ;D
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 04:00:53 pm »
I really enjoy scrolling, but it is only part of my woodworking.  If I am just woodworking for the sake of it, I have difficulty getting enthused, but if a project excites me, then I can't get enough.  Funny thing is I almost never make something for my own use.  Everything is for gifts, mostly for my wife.  For the past few months I have been building her a tall shaker clock and everything else has gone by the wayside.  I will have to re-set my goals and projects once I finally finish the clock.

Maybe it is time to tackle another aspect of woodworking, or at least to browse around until you see a project you can get excited over.  Once the enthusiasm returns, you will find yourself right at home in front of the saw again.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 04:14:28 pm »
Sounds like you need to buy a new tool.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 06:34:21 pm »
I also have "Marg's syndrome".   ;)  (Do we have a new medical problem, with a name?)

Am trying to get motivated to start scrolling but it's hard to get started.  Can't afford a new tool but do want to get a belt sander, one day.

Good luck, Marg,
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 08:13:30 pm »
I was in a scrolling slump before too. Don't know why but just didn't feel like scrolling or turning. I did go to the garage and clean all the benches. That led to cleaning the saw. Then when I realized how clean everything was I couldn't handle it and started making dust again. Just saying...
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 02:41:40 am »
Thanks guys I needed that.  Its no good me doing another hobby, scrolling is the only one that I am good at.  No good cleaning up the garage we are renovating/decorating the bathroom, toilet and laundry areas and my husband as stuff EVERYWHERE in the garage. And no we don't need any new tools.  I've been looking through my books and magazines and come up with a few new things to put on my to do list.  So I guess I just sit around until I am thoroughly bored with myself and get my butt out into the garage.  I really hope that time comes soon.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 08:25:50 am »
Hey Marg, I'm with you.  I haven't turned on the saw for weeks.  Have all kinds of projects that need doing but can't seem to care.  Part of my problem is health I know.  Am going in tomorrow for an angiogram as my nuclear stress test shows that I may have some blockage and if so, they will put in stints.  Hopefully, I will start feeling better and want to do something.

rob roy

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 09:31:01 am »
Hi Keppy good luck with the Angiogram. Already had two of them, Bunged up arteries. Hope all goes well.
Rob Roy.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 09:50:36 am »
i gets like that from time to time.got a couple project on the go now just can't seem to get at them.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 12:15:14 pm »
Hey Marge....I am glad you started this post.  I have not stopped scrolling or doing
some other wood working, but back yonder I was always excited every day to get
another project started and finished.  Now a days things have slowed down some.
Got tired of cutting portraits.  (I must have 2 full paper boxes full of them)  Think
my hang up now is I look n look for patterns, but hardly any bring that excitement
to mind.  Anyway I think we all get into some type of slump here n there.  Danny :+}
Danny  :+}

SMF

Teknoromi