Author Topic: Corian and Oak Intarsia Clock  (Read 2718 times)

Claymore

Corian and Oak Intarsia Clock
« on: November 03, 2015, 09:14:20 am »
Hi,
Here's my latest project, its been a learning process as I have never cut Corian on my scrollsaw but pleased to say it cuts lovely. As you can see the clock is made from Oak and the Woodpeckers are totally made from different coloured Corian (no paint or dyes used) The Corian is so tough you can cut very fine lines and makes for nice close joins in the different colours....I have used No2 and 0's for the Corian and if you take it easy and slowly turn the blades last for ages.
The Corian is 12mm thick and I have shaped them for better 3d effect, the eyes turned out nice and to make those I drilled a 5mm hole in the heads and then cut a 6mm round piece and put it in my drill and rounded the top over with a file while the drill was turning then its just a case of glueing it back into the heads (the eyelight in each eye is also made from a piece of white Corian and i just drilled a 1.5mm hole into the eyeball and pressed the tiny bit of corian into the hole and then filed it flush with the eyeball tricky but worth the effort)
To finish you can actually polish Corian to a mirror finish using T-Cut and a polishing mop in you drill press or Dremel etc but I didn't this time and its actually a couple of coats of Wilco's finest lacquer including the Oak and this really enhances the colours (the photo is pretty rubbish so will take some better ones later)
Corian is pretty hard to get hold of in the UK but I got mine off Ebay and although not cheap you only use small bits for Intarsia's . I think you Scroller guys/gals would be able to make some beautiful stuff with Corian so worth experimenting with.
Hope you like them
Brian
Ps We have a family of real Woodpeckers living in our garden hence reason I chose them as the subject. my next Corian/wood hybred will be very different from this one so watch this space  :)

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
Re: Corian and Oak Intarsia Clock
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 11:26:26 pm »
Looks great to me!  Corian isn't something I've tried, but might be worth it....lots of colors to give a project a different look.  Can't wait to see the next project you show.
Nancy
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 02:21:53 am »
Beautiful!
Thanks for the description and thanks for sharing.
How is the Corian attached to the Oak, please?
God Bless! Spirithorse

Claymore

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 03:28:03 pm »
Cheers everyone, the Corian is glued using CA (superglue) and sticks to the Oak as normal, the hardest part is making sure the joints are good when combining different colours of Corian. It sands lovely and you can keep very sharp edges if you want so would be lovely for flower petals etc.
Thanks
Brian

Offline Brian Pardue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 06:31:02 am »
never tried corian but have thought about it several times and have even picked up some scrap for work but have yet to try it.
This piece looks really nice

Claymore

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 02:43:00 pm »
Thanks Brian....... I have been planning the clock for 12 months and as Corian is hard to get hold of here in Scotland/England I had to wait until I found the correct colours (the red was the hardest to find here)  there is some beautiful Corian and one I like the look of for a scrolled clock is black with gold flecks in and looks amazing, also like the Granite effect ones.
Give it a go Brian if you ever have any spare time 8-) Intarsia keeps ya busy lol
Cheers
Brian

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 12:21:50 am »
Thanks for the reply and, once again, beautiful project you displayed for us.
God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 12:53:18 am »
That is one beautiful clock.  I have never seen corian so red before.  Excellent Work Brian

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

SMF

Teknoromi