Author Topic: stool  (Read 3350 times)

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
stool
« on: December 13, 2010, 12:10:59 pm »
What are some of the good scroll saw stools that are not hard on the legs nor back.
I have a dewalt scroll saw dw788 with stand...
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

Bill P

Re: stool
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 12:46:41 pm »
The best thing I ever did in this hobby was drop my saw down to 36" from floor to table top (I'm 5'5") and get me a short stool on wheels.  Now I can have my feet flat on the floor and move the stool around the saw a little when I'm working with larger pieces of wood.

I bought a stool that looks like the saddle of an old Harley.  Love it!  No more back or leg aches.

Ergonomically speaking, you should have your feet flat on the floor, then adjust everything to that, not adjust your body to the tool.

Just my opinion.

Bill

Offline Silver Sliver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 04:59:47 pm »
I agree with bill.  My table is approx. 30 inches off the floor.  I use an old office swivel chair on casters.  Saves my back which I injured this past summer.  Silver

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 01:36:50 am »
I like mine bar stool height as it easier to sit and stand up from
Jimbo

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 02:24:14 pm »
I use a shop stool I bought from Dayton Supply with adjustable leg height, adjustable back support.  It's all metal with a masonite seat.  It's really comfortable for me, easy to get in and out of, no back pains and it's indestructible. 
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 08:11:55 pm »
I use a bar stool with a back as I need a support to put my feet up.  My knees don't like me sitting with my feet flat on the floor.  It swivels so is convenient getting up and down.

Offline tinker1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 08:55:11 pm »
Here's some from sears (just to give you a idea of whats out there)
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00980897000P?mv=rr
(scrolldown on website for more types available)

I'm still using a stool type without a back, works pretty well for me.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 05:59:55 am by tinker1 »

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 07:20:19 am »
I use a plush office chair with rollers and no arms. I can sit for hours scrolling in comfort.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 07:51:36 am »
The long and the short of it is - What is comfortable to you?  I'm a stander.  I have an artificial hip and sitting for long periods is hard for me, plus, I work on some big projects that require me to move around. (My belly gets in the way of the turns sometimes).  Also, if you use a foot petal and your feet don't reach the floor, you need to have an alternative mount for your knee or a board on the crossbraces of your stand to put you petal.  I ocassionally use a stool and sit but find it awkward.  Many of us have bad backs and we all find different ways to eliviate it.  You may have to try a couple of different ways before you find what is comfortable for you.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 11:43:06 am »
I guess I would have to call my self a 'leaner'! (only 1 point!)

I have an industrial shop stool that is tall enough that I basically sit on the very edge and sort of lean on it and operate the foot pedal with my right foot. But I tend to change positions a lot due to my 'arthritic' back. It does not like to be in the same position for a longer period.
That is why I went to the 'visor' style magnifier and quit using the free standing one.
What I am not fully used to is 'raising' my visor every time I look away from the saw.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

KYCustomScroller

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 08:49:10 am »
Im still trying to figure out how i can get my lazy boy chair in my shop...... ;D ;D

SMF

Teknoromi