Author Topic: Oops  (Read 4474 times)

Offline Woodrush

• View Profile
Oops
« on: March 09, 2018, 01:55:08 am »
I had just finished cutting steves ship in a bottle from 1 inch hardwood. In the process of gluing it to to backing board, i dropped it and broke it in 5 pieces. Three hours and 4 blades that i will never get back.

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
Re: Oops
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 08:59:42 am »
Woodrush, that's really frustrating.  Bet there were a few choice words uttered, or at least thought.   ;D  I have had some success gluing breaks in cuttings. Try to use as little glue as possible to minimize squeeze-out.

Steve has two ship in a bottle patterns.  I assume you did the one without a backing board.  How would it look if you glued it onto a backer board, either rectangular or cut to the shape of the bottle?

Considering the time and effort you put into it, repair is worth a try.  Let us know how it turns out.
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline Woodrush

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 10:43:30 am »
I di glue it back together.it looks ok but i know its there and its frustrating to look at it. I think i will give it away so i dont have to see it again

Offline scrappile

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 12:44:22 pm »
Bet most of us has done something similar.  I've done it more than once.  The worst one I did was a very detailed Mike Williams moose picture.  When I finally finished the picture I noticed I didn't have the border quite even.  No problem, I'll just shave a little off one side on the table saw..........  I couldn't even find all the pieces!!  It just blew apart... Lucky I had stack cut 2.. and now there is one!

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 01:36:58 pm by scrappile »
Paul from S.E. Washington State
Hegner Multimax-22 V and Seyco ST-21

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 01:09:26 pm »
The piece that is my ID was hanging on a door. It fell about 60" and hit a concrete floor. It is no more, I threw all63 pieces in the trash. Wood glue just wasn't going to be enough. LOL
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Woodrush

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 02:29:32 pm »
Thanks folks. I dont feel so bad now. In future i will wiipe the glue from my fingers before touching the work

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 04:08:59 pm »
Depending on the break if its clean super glue does wonders sometimes pending on wood and the break can't tell it broke. I have had a couple times I get almost cutting something I worked so hard on to make it really perfect go to make my last cut and a letter snaps in half, I then scream really bad words, then reach for the super glue and try to save it. One time I had just started and broke a letter, I just trashed it and started over again learning where the weak point was and being very careful cut it out again.

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 10:51:04 pm »
You learned a hard lesson with a piece you put a lot of time & effort into. Trust me, you're not alone. I made a memorial for a family, & it being a custom job, it was 1/2" cherry, with designs & things that involved the person the memorial was for. Lots of fret work. I had it finished, no breakage, clean cuts, had it on the table ready to shoot clear coat & my shirt tail caught one corner of it. Before I could catch it, it hit the floor & I had a jigsaw puzzle.:(
Sawdust703(Brad)

Offline bellman70

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 09:24:48 pm »
So.. I'm not the only one with an "OOOPS" moment.  I had cut a heart shape with a saying inside out of 1/4' hardwood.  Almost done with the lettering when half the letter a broke off.
This was a gift to my wife, so I carefully reglued the piece with super glue.  It looks good and has been hanging in our front room for the past few years.  If it can be glued and still look good, then no one ever has to know.
It's nice to be important, but more important to be nice.

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 08:07:47 am »
The big challenge in wood art is not the unblemished pieces one makes but developing the skill to be able to learn how to correct our mistakes or make our oomps a part of the finished piece with little or no effect on the final product. An old cabinet maker some 65 years ago told me that when I helped him put kitchen cupboards  in my parents home. === Then here is always the designer firewood pile

Offline GLC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 08:37:21 am »
Thank you all!  I recently broke a piece that was special - for a sick family member.  I was so sad, but I managed to repair it.  At the time - I didn't think of all of you who have walked before me.  The next time I stumble - I hope to remember this and smile. 

GLC

Offline eburk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2018, 12:41:52 pm »
I was working on a piece for my wife, the quilter in the family. It have four duplicate fretwork squares to cut out that were supposed to represent quilt blocks. As I was finishing the last on I snapped a portion of the fretwork. i cut a duplicate and with a little glue, and a little time made the fix. I will, of course, always see that square differently than the others, but so far I am the only one to really notice.
Stayin' warm in the North country!

SMF

Teknoromi