Author Topic: Need help on a scroll saw purchase.  (Read 2075 times)

Offline rechilcot

• View Profile
Need help on a scroll saw purchase.
« on: May 23, 2018, 08:28:16 am »
I have the opportunity to purchase a Delta/Rockwell 40-440 with variable speed and no stand.  The saw is in pristine condition.  However as most know, this is a spring aided return type saw (http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1141/2736.pdf).  I currently have a Dremel 1680 that I am not overly thrilled with because at certain speeds, I need to dance with it because of vibrations.  I do not do any type of fretwork.  I generally cut inside designs in 3/4 inch stock to add to my woodworking projects.  If any of you have experience with this type of saw, how small of a blade can you effectively use on this beast?  Also, knowing what I use a scroll saw for, would you suggest passing on the old iron and spend the money on a Dewalt, Delta or gag...Excalibur?

Thanks.  I enjoy reading everyone's input here.  This is my first post.

Offline Woodrush

• View Profile
Re: Need help on a scroll saw purchase.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 06:34:24 pm »
I have a dewalt and your saw is my back up I use from 2/0 up to 9 and it works fine I prefer to use it when cutting thicker stock cause it cuts faster then the dewalt.

Offline rechilcot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 09:07:28 pm »
That's great info.  Do you find the spring mechanism troublesome?  I loved old iron and use all my tools.  I hate to buy it and not use it.

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 08:14:24 am »
I upgraded from Dremel to Dewalt. feature I really like is the Dewalt arm lifts giving more room to insert blade into entry holes as well as the blade tensioner is up front so I don't have to reach to the back of the saw to tension the blade.  If I was to upgrade, the Seyco looks good as it can cut thicker stock which would be good for making boxes, but I am not sure it is sold in Canada. I hear Hawk and Hegner would also be something to look into

Offline rfielder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 11:17:06 am »
If I was to upgrade, the Seyco looks good as it can cut thicker stock which would be good for making boxes, but I am not sure it is sold in Canada.
Norm - I think the Seyco is from the factory in the far east that produced the Excalibur, and now produces the Excelsior line.

King Canada sells the Excelsior line, so you can get a Seyco with a different name place....
Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Offline rechilcot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 07:54:31 pm »
Well I went to look at the saw.  She's a beauty.  I tried it out with some Pegas blades I had with me.  The old Delta sounded like a sewing machine.  To make a long story short, the old gal followed me home

SMF

Teknoromi