Author Topic: Hanging my work  (Read 2956 times)

agooday88

Hanging my work
« on: January 31, 2015, 01:19:31 pm »
I am looking for different ways to hang my work. The pieces are usually around 1/2 inch thick and about 1 inch wide at the top. ( some are only 3/4in wide). Sometimes I use hard woods for my wood grain projects and other times I use plywood. (for my painted projects )
 I thought I could get some ideas from all of you. Thanks

Offline hardkore

• View Profile
Re: Hanging my work
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 05:02:59 pm »
Not sure what you are asking for, but if I am hanging a project it really depends on material and size. Small plaques, I normally use a manufactured metal hanger. Real small you may need a eye screw or even just a piece of string glued in a hole. I just finished a 12" diameter plaque and used the keyhole bit on my router.  Even just a hole for a screw will work some times.
Good luck

agooday88

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 08:42:34 pm »
I made a cross and I want to hang it. Would the keyhole bit work on 1/2 inch plywood? Usually a picture hanger is attached with small nails. What do u use in place of nails?

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 09:59:58 pm »
I made a cross and I want to hang it. Would the keyhole bit work on 1/2 inch plywood? Usually a picture hanger is attached with small nails. What do u use in place of nails?

Superglue.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 10:03:45 pm »
For the back, I take a drill bit and wrap masking tape around it for a "depth gauge."  If I know it will hang perfectly vertical, I drill one hole.  (Same principle as the keyhole router bit.)  Otherwise, drill 2 or more & cut between them with a chisel.  Flatten the bottom with a narrow chisel.

jerry

agooday88

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 11:18:50 pm »
Are you serious Rog? LoL I never thought about that.

Thank u for the router advice too. I will try both. I just want it to look professional.

Offline MrA

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 12:03:28 am »
I found 1/4 screws instead of nails for the small hangers for my 1/4 and 1/2 inch thick wall plaques. they take some practice before it is easy to use them but hold well. I have found there are a variety of small hangers available that work on almost all my hanging projects.
One mistake leads to expensive firewood and I have had a couple of good fires since I started.

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 08:29:24 am »
First a keyhole bit will work on the plywood, you just have to watch your depth and you might hit a void depending on the type of plywood.

Second if you decide to use a sawtooth hanger (or any other) you can start your nail, pull it back out then using a pair of side cutters cut the nail to 1/4" to 3/8" and place back in the hole and finish driving it in.

(When cutting the nail be sure to hold on to the piece with the head and point the cut off side into a trash can for safety reasons.)

Karl

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 01:09:13 pm »
I use small screws as well in place of the nails.
Pete

http://www.craftparts.com/hardware-screws-nails-c-198_260.html
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 01:10:46 pm by jrpeteo »
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline Brian Pardue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 01:22:15 pm »
I use "D" rings to hang everything and they work great. Just 1 short screw about 1/2 long. Home Depot  sells them ffor about 2 dollars for a packet of 3

Graywolf

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 02:46:16 pm »
I usually use saw tooth hangers. I put glue on them when I have them where I want them, and make sure I use enough glue so it comes through the nail holes, to add more strength. Seems to work for me.

SMF

Teknoromi