Author Topic: Different Material  (Read 5792 times)

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Different Material
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 05:55:26 am »
That pattern asleep on my to do list for about 6 years but in paper that is awesome.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 06:18:08 am »
Isn't paper just really, really, thin wood?  Looks great.

daliclimbs

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 08:20:47 am »
That came out great! Thanks for showing us!

Offline frankorona

• Frankorona (Frank) (Crown)
    • View Profile
    • Frankorona?s workshop
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 08:43:03 am »
Amazing job, very well done, looks great, thanks for sharing

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 02:35:50 pm »
Awesome job, I like it. Thanks for posting.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

smitty0312

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 09:47:20 am »
Simply amazing work for sure!!

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 10:26:00 am »
Mike....Hope no body already asked, but can't remember reading about how long did it take you to cut that pattern?  And you must have 20/20 vision and not get many head aches from staring at so many different shapes for so long.  You are Amazing. Danny
Danny  :+}

MikieD

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 12:49:27 pm »
Mike....Hope no body already asked, but can't remember reading about how long did it take you to cut that pattern?  And you must have 20/20 vision and not get many head aches from staring at so many different shapes for so long.  You are Amazing. Danny

HI Danny,
Thank you for your kind words.  I'm afraid I don't have very good eye sight (cataracts) so I use a magnifying lens that fits on my head.  I can only work like that for about two hours max and then have to take a rest.  The Cedar Mill project took me over a week to finish working between two and three hours a day.  Hard on the eyes but enjoy the work...

Mike

Offline flint hills

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 02:02:19 pm »
I am working on that same pattern now but sawing in 1/8 " oak plywood.
It is 11 X 17. It is the hardest thing I've done so far. I an about 2/3 s done .

Candi_D

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 09:50:46 pm »
As a paper crafter who uses a digital cutter I just say, you are amazing! I'm shocked that you hand cut those designs! Looks great!

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 09:16:59 pm »
Ok, this really intrigues me. I have been an origami enthusiast for over 20 years. (art of paper folding) I have done some cutting, but nothing like this. You have probably seen my snowflakes that I made from cutting a paper pattern first then wood cutting them. The snowflakes I cut and don't make into wood patterns are a lot more intricate than my wood ones. I have thought of cutting patterns with an exacto, but havent done it yet. I will be taking a closer look at your art, this is an area of crafting I think I would like as much as wood cutting. I am also considering doing some pyro work, just need to get some good ideas for that. Thanks for sharing all this. Love your website. 

Dean A

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2012, 07:38:03 am »
Great work Mike. Your website has a lot of nice projects too.....very talented indeed

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2012, 10:59:07 am »
very nicely done, what a great project!
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

MikieD

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2012, 01:19:24 pm »
Ok, this really intrigues me. I have been an origami enthusiast for over 20 years. (art of paper folding) I have done some cutting, but nothing like this. You have probably seen my snowflakes that I made from cutting a paper pattern first then wood cutting them. The snowflakes I cut and don't make into wood patterns are a lot more intricate than my wood ones. I have thought of cutting patterns with an exacto, but havent done it yet. I will be taking a closer look at your art, this is an area of crafting I think I would like as much as wood cutting. I am also considering doing some pyro work, just need to get some good ideas for that. Thanks for sharing all this. Love your website. 

Thanks for your kind words.One day a couple of months ago I couldn't use my workshop and I felt like cutting something so I took a scrollsaw pattern and attacked it with an xacto knife.  I was very pleased with the way the cutting went and my wife liked that I wasn't creating any more dust around the house  :D .  The nice thing about cutting paper is you don't have to drill a number of holes and you don't have to feed your scrollsaw blade through them!  Goes a lot faster than scrolling wood.

I have also done a couple of pyrography pieces and they were fun.  I found a book about pyrography and it had a couple of patterns that I used.  I have also used pictures in some of the How To Draw with pencils as patterns.  I'll see if I can get pictures up on my site of the finished work.

Mike

Offline crupiea

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2012, 09:00:47 am »
awesome work, well done.

SMF

Teknoromi