Author Topic: Scroll Saw Shell  (Read 2310 times)

Offline ALWAYS SCROLLING

• View Profile
Scroll Saw Shell
« on: December 14, 2015, 04:38:56 pm »
Here is a recent project. I purchased the e-book on this a few years ago and only got into trying it a short while ago. This Shell is made from a 2x4 piece of lumber. It started out with 5 wedges and from that 57 segments were cut, glued and shaped. The hardest part of working with this kind of shape is the sanding and there is a lot of it. A fun project and another will be posted made of a different material.
Thanks for looking.

NHRA48

Re: Scroll Saw Shell
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 04:41:06 pm »
Excellent work.  😀

cowboysfanatic

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 09:31:27 pm »
Good job..did it take u long

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 11:31:30 pm »
Very nicely done.  I have seen several of these that were huge.  I saw one a few years back that was about 10" across at the mouth.  Love the grain.  Thanks for sharing this with us.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline ALWAYS SCROLLING

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 01:56:56 am »
This was my second wood shell. The overall cutting was not that difficult. Probably about 2 to 2.5 hours to cut all of the segments. Each piece has to then be sanded extra flat to ensure the mating pieces will glue together nicely. The gluing is a big challenge. Due to the angle of the segments you cannot use clamps so you have to hold the pieces together till there is somewhat of a set of the glued pieces. I would glue two pieces and then shape/sand these pieces. I would then glue two two piece sections, sand and continue this process till you get to the end. The inside surfaces had to be sanded as much as possible because once glued it would be difficult to get into these tight areas. Overall the wood shell took 7 to 8 hours to complete. I applied 6 coats of hand rubbed Tung Oil for the finish. Onto the next one soon.
Thanks for the comments. Ron

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 03:04:34 am »
I always find these shells amazing.  Yours is no different  its fabulous.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

SMF

Teknoromi