Author Topic: when finishing work  (Read 1140 times)

jason03151980

when finishing work
« on: January 11, 2012, 08:19:27 am »
ok i have used the lemon oil as first attempt to finish a peace of work and i used lacquer for a nice clear coat on it one question is i belive it is fully cured and the peace smells just like lemon oil should i apply more lacquer or is this normal for it to go right to the smell of lemon oil ?

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: when finishing work
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 09:51:04 am »
You will need a minimum of two to three coats of lacquer over the lemon oil. I usually use around five depending on the gloss I want for that piece.   8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

jason03151980

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 11:18:35 am »
yeah i did 3 and 2 days later the work still smells like the lemone oil so i guess do a couple more coats then

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 12:28:15 pm »
Hey Jason, The lemon oil never really dries. So it may smell for a long time. I have never used lemon oil so I don't know for sure. I use a 50/50 mixture of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits. It dries in one or two days, and then it is ready for a top coat.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 01:07:49 pm »
As long as it is dry to touch I don't think you have a problem. They do have a tendency to smell like lemon oil, some more than others. The lemon oil gets into all the nooks and crannies the lacquer doesn't. If you want to make sure there is no problem do the toilet paper test. Lay down a layer of toilet paper and place the project on top. Due to the absorbency of toilet paper if there is a problem area it will show it.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

jason03151980

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 01:16:49 pm »
ok thanks for the help it is dry to the touch im going to test it now and wait and see thanks also for another way to finish with oil also this site is great thanks again

SMF

Teknoromi