Author Topic: Scrollsaw Stand  (Read 3409 times)

Jared

Scrollsaw Stand
« on: April 19, 2010, 09:55:31 am »
Steve,
I just purchased a new DeWALT DW788 scrollsaw. The manual says to mount the stand to the floor. With limited space, I need to be able to move power tools (drill press, table saw, etc.).

Is mounting to the floor really necessary? I assume this is to prevent the saw from tipping over.

Any ideas or experience with a wheeled platform (locking wheels)?

I'll hold for your response before I do something stupid. (That's my specialty.)

Thank you all very much.

Jared -- Omaha

garyinnevada

Re: Scrollsaw Stand
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 11:17:06 am »
You sure dont need to attach the stand to the floor. I really think you would regret it if you did!!

Gary

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 11:22:20 am »
 ;D I have my saw mounted on a stand made of 2 x 4 and 2 x 6 lumber and it is on 3" rubber wheels. Front wheels are the LOCKING type to keep it in place so I don't have to chase it around the garage!
No fears of it turning over at all.
There are several plans for stands that can be found on the internet if you do a 'google search'!

GrayBeard
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 11:27:30 am »
I'm not Steve but...

I would not permanently affix the stand to the floor.  This is the company saving their backsides from law suits.  Use a stable surface and locking wheels if you place wheels on your stand.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 12:16:01 pm by dunk »
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

garyinnevada

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 11:33:27 am »
I apologize Steve. I just realized this section was for questions directed at you.

OOPS!!

Gary

EZgoing

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 12:13:06 pm »
Well, at the risk of 'breaking the rules' as Gary just pointed out..

In my own case, I mounted my old Master Craft scroll saw to an old microwave stand that is on wheels.  It allows me to sit comfortably and leaves me enough room to mount the blade rack I made right on the stand too.. The air puffer was shot when I got the saw, so I added an air pump from a nebulizer so that saw dust isn't a problem at all any longer..  I've also added 2 CFL lights so I can see the project on the saw very well..

In answer to Jared's question, I sure as heck would not mount my saw to the floor..

Sorry if I'm stepping on anyone's toes (especially you Steve).. here.. 

Ez

Jared

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 12:21:48 pm »
Thanks to all for your insight!

I figured that this was the manufacturer's way of holding down the possibility of liability in case users decide to use the saw table as a practice floor for break-dancing.

All of your responses are welcomed and appreciated!!

Jared

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 04:00:31 pm »
Not to worry gary. I need all the help I can get. I agree that its not necessary to bolt the stand to the floor. if you put it on a mobile base make sure its the type that allows the stand to touch the floor when stationary. Just locking wheels won't work. You need a stable base and the locked wheels will allow too much movement.

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 04:49:32 pm »
Jared, I'm also a "Newbie" who recently bought the DeWalt 788.  I mounted it on the three legged stand made for it.  It's solid, and I can move it around easily enough just picking it up.  I tried a different arrangement using locking wheels, but there was too much movement in the axles, etc. of the wheels even when locked.  I'm happy with what I have.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Jared

Re: Scrollsaw Stand - I just ordered this...
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 04:06:44 am »
Wow, so much great advice. Would you all like to come over?

I just ordered the "Power Tool Mobile Base" from Rockler. ( Rockler.com Item #92051 )

It should be here Thursday. I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks again...

Jared

Jared

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 05:20:53 am »
The Rockler mobile base works like a charm!
(www.Rockler.com Item #92051)
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=2383&filter=92051&pn=92051

SMF

Teknoromi