Author Topic: Glueing scrollsaw walnut lettering to pine faced mdf board.  (Read 1376 times)

Irish Scroller

Glueing scrollsaw walnut lettering to pine faced mdf board.
« on: October 05, 2011, 09:22:03 am »
Hi,
I am relatively new to scrolling and am planning to scrollsaw the letters of a document in 6mm Walnut.  This will be approx 60 inches  x 40 inches with about 40 lines of text.   Most letters will be about half an inch high.  The letters will be fixed to a pine faced mdf mounted on a wall.

My question is: What is the best glue/adhesive for mounting these letters which will give the most permanent fix.   As the letters are being glued to a board in the vertical position it would need to be quick setting, non staining .    Any advice on the glue appreciated.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Gluing scroll saw walnut lettering to pine faced mdf board.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 09:54:55 am »
Welcome to the forum! Where are you located? Here in the U.S. there is a glue that can be found at craft stores like Michael's and hobby Lobby. It is called Aleen's Tacky glue. It is thick and will hold your pieces together without clamping and it dries clear. For scrolling crafts, it is all I use.
Go over to the introduction page and introduce yourself!
Dan In Southern California

Irish Scroller

Re: Glueing scrollsaw walnut lettering to pine faced mdf board.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 03:24:31 pm »
Thanks for the advice DGMAN  .  The glue you recommend is not available in Ireland but could possibly be purchased online. I was looking at Titebond Instant bond wood adhesive(Thick), any thoughts.

Alan.(Irish Scroller)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Gluing scrollsaw walnut lettering to pine faced mdf board.
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 03:53:32 pm »
Alan, Yes it will work, but the problem with CA glues (cyanoacrylate) is you have very little time to work. If your piece is not positioned properly before the glue sets, your are out of luck! So you want a glue that allows a little wiggle room.
I think Titebond sells a crown molding glue that will do what you want. It grabs real fast, but allows time to adjust your work.
Dan In Southern California

Mainewoods

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 08:44:01 pm »
Thick CA will give you a little extra time before it sets.  I've used thick and thin CA building radio control planes, and the thick stuff will definitely give you more time, but because it is thicker, you also have more of tendency for squeeze out, so use it sparingly!

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 04:42:48 pm »
if you use CA glue be careful of any squeze out. your fingers or other pieces can get stuck. Also the squeeze out may not stain or finish the same, but that is true of any glue.

SMF

Teknoromi