Author Topic: Scrollsaw or bandsaw??  (Read 759 times)

KM5WX

Scrollsaw or bandsaw??
« on: July 14, 2011, 07:46:09 pm »
Hi from a "newbie", Early retirement has left me with way to much free time and no ability to leave the house or shop. I'm interested in starting some projects and would like some recommendations on what tools to acquire. I was given an old craftsman scroll saw. Other than turning it on to see if it works I haven't tried to do anything with it yet. I'll have to look closer but I don't recall it having variable speed and I've read that it is preferred to have one that does. I believe I have a schematic to build a motor speed controller so that shouldn't be a problem. I did notice that it appears to only use pin end blades and upon turning it on it seemed to vibrate bad. Is there a way to reduce the vibration? Secondly I intend to "try" and make some wooden toys (planes cars etc.) Would I be better off to have a band saw for these projects. I've seen several on the local craigslist for what appeared to be reasonable prices. Is there a site that I can find reviews of band saws to check on their quality? Thanks for the help and I'm sure I'll refer to this site quite a bit in my endeavors!!  Richard

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Scrollsaw or bandsaw??
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 08:27:36 pm »
Hey Richard, If all you want to do is make wooden toys, this saw will be fine. Since you probbably don't need to make small inside cuts, the use of pinned blades will not be a problem. Do not try to install any kind of speed control as it will probbly burn out the motor, In which case you will have to replace it with a better saw!
As far as reducing vibration, bolt it down to your stand or bench with rubber insulators between the saw and the bench. If it mounted to a stand, use sand to weigh it down. The sand will help dampen the vibration. Good luck and go to the introduction page and introduce yourself!
Dan In Southern California

tux_linux

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 07:46:30 am »
The scroll saw may have variable speed - but doesn't need to. You will be doing fine without, it's a addon and not really needed.

Take a search for "blade clamps" in here. I have posted some on exchange blade clamps. Than you can use flat end blades (contact Mike for Flying Dutchman Blades).

The stand / vibration: Dan said it. bold the saw to a stand and make that stand heavy! I have some pave stones in there.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 08:16:45 am »
Many of us started on "not the ideal" scrollsaw.  Use it and try different things and if it's your thing - think about upgrading.  Same with the bandsaw.  I started with a much smaller, less versitile bandsaw and upgraded when I wanted to be able to do more.  Alot depends on how big a toy you want to make.  If you want to puzzles and small cars - scrollsaw.  If you want to do bigger projects - band saw.  Just remember - you cannot make an inside cut with a bandsaw - but you can't make an inside cut thicker that 2" on a scrollsaw.  My first scrollsaw was a dremel and it was amazing what I could do with that and it only took pinned end blades.  I upgraded to an EX21 many years ago and never regretted it.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 11:41:54 am »
Depending on the type of toys you intend to make you may want a bandsaw. The big durable playable(the ones you give willingly to a 2-year-old) toys often start as big pieces of wood (4/4 solid wood, or 2x4's, fence posts, turning blanks...) for cutting those types of materials a bandsaw is great.
If you prefere more detailed toys a scrollsaw works well. Also, the more detailed you get the more helpful it will be to have a table saw to rip pieces accuratly to a desired with. (a straight line is a hard cut on a scroll saw, and only a bit easier on a bandsaw)

SMF

Teknoromi