Author Topic: stickers or spray adhesive?  (Read 1667 times)

tux_linux

stickers or spray adhesive?
« on: January 13, 2011, 07:02:29 am »
Hey Steve!

I recently saw one of your videos, testing stickers instead of using spray adhesive to fix the pattern to the wood.
I would like to know if you still use the spray or if you have switched to printing stickers as you were not to enthusiastic in the end of that video.
Today I spotted that beautiful pattern of Sheila you posted and read the instructions also still recommending spray adhesive.

I started right away with stickers and find it really simple that way. I found out, that it is much simpler to remove the sticker when the sticker is on top of the layer of tape. Done this way the sticker can even stay on for days without problems during removing.

regards
Torsten

Muzzlemike

Re: stickers or spray adhesive?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 08:24:31 pm »
I am what I consider new to scroll sawing but here is what I have found works for me . I will print the pattern on a peace of paper and use masking tape or the blue painters tape on the wood but use the spay adhesive between the paper and the tape . The tape comes off nice and the spray adhesive keeps the pattern where I wont it . This works very well for me .

Mike

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 11:52:39 am »
i use self adhesive paper for my portraits & fragile scroll work. i use spray adhesive for everything
else.

tux_linux

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 04:33:55 pm »
ah - ok.... strange - but if it works  :D

@ mike
try stickers. it is so much easier.

@ termite
..and why do you use stickers on portraits and spray on "not fragile" works?

regards
Torsten

Becky

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 09:44:54 pm »
I've never tried the stickers.  It seemed like an added expense with an uncertain (at best) benefit based on Steve's video.

I don't typicall have much trouble getting the sprayed on paper off.  If it doesn't peel easily, I go to heat.  If that doesn't work there's always mineral spirits.  Recently, I even read a tip about putting the piece in the microwave which is, I suppose, just another approach to heat.  I haven't tried that.

I only use the blue painters' tape if the piece is delicate.  It's expensive too - at least for something you will just throw away.

OMG, I just realized this is yet another way I have turned into my mother!  LOL   ;D

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 12:33:22 am »
the self adhesive is a little expensive. on anything not fragile i use blue painters tape ,spray
pattern & stick to tape.i tried different ways of doing this & this is the system that i like the best
remember, there are many ways to do this,so figure out what works the best for you & go with it.

grampa

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 06:22:04 pm »
adhesive, white shelf liner paper, you can get about 70 or 80 A4 sheets out of 1 roll and can be printed on....Paul

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 10:42:50 pm »
interesting idea paul. I have some of that stuff I was going to put on a shelf if I ever cleared it off. Yeah!! Another excuse  not to do that job!

Offline cskipper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 03:25:38 pm »
adhesive, white shelf liner paper, you can get about 70 or 80 A4 sheets out of 1 roll and can be printed on....Paul
How do you get it to feed through your printer?
Cathy Skipper
When in doubt, just do the next right thing.

tux_linux

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 04:05:28 pm »
well, get it trough the printer seems to be possible - but I wonder if the ink drys...

I got 100 A4 sheets adhesive for about 22 Euro (~29.90$). Those are the good quality onces from Herma, could get some half priced onces too, but they are not good.

The price is ok for me, as I have nothing to worry about while working. No spray, no waiting time. Simply apply it and rip it off.

regards
Torsten

Muzzlemike

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 01:04:17 am »
the self adhesive is a little expensive. on anything not fragile i use blue painters tape ,spray
pattern & stick to tape.i tried different ways of doing this & this is the system that i like the best
remember, there are many ways to do this,so figure out what works the best for you & go with it.

I have tried stickers and other ways but I have problems with getting the adhesive off of the wood and I found the the cheep painters tape and masking tape from the dollar store works the best for me . As long as it comes out the way it should with little problems it works for me .

Mike

SMF

Teknoromi