Author Topic: Taking pictures  (Read 1190 times)

igadavis

Taking pictures
« on: November 04, 2010, 01:42:10 pm »
Steve your pictures look great of your projects, with the blue background and the reflection.  What is your set up and any tips for taking pictures of our projects.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Taking pictures
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 07:17:22 pm »
Don't use the built-in FLASH!

If you must use the Flash shoot from an angle to minimize reflection.

Set up a cloth 'drape' of some kind for a background and light with a couple lamps.

If you use a white cloth that is 'thin' enough you can even put lights behind and to the sides for better lighting.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 10:27:07 pm »
I use a light tent for most of the photos. It is big enough for most scroll saw projects. It comes with the blue and a gray background. The Camera is a Canon 20d DSLR with a Pretty nice macro lens. I have about $3000 in the system but I used to shoot stock photography for a website so it's all left over from that.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 06:29:53 am »
After seeing your setup Steve I was looking around on the internet and found this. Thought I would post it for everyone. Might try to build one myself.  8)

http://www.digital-photography-school.com/how-to-make-a-inexpensive-light-tent
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

igadavis

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 09:04:47 am »
Steve, thanks for sharing your set up, seeing it helps a lot. Russ, thanks for the link, that is something I can make. This should help with the quality of my photos.
Thanks again

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 10:58:29 am »
I was looking at building a light tent and ended up buying this one
http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-12-Photo-Soft-Light/dp/B001TKD6WY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1288968779&sr=8-7

I am really limited on space so what ever I use needs to be put away easily. That was a problem with some of the make your own types. (for me at least) As I was researching I found the one above, for $15 I decided to try it. It all folds up flat and can be stored easily and set up quickly when I want.

I wrote a review on Lumberjocks.com if you are interested -  http://lumberjocks.com/reviews/1599

My photos are not as good as steve's, but the light tent was really a good buy for me. Although if I was going to do it again, I would probably get the 24" one.

MrsN

SMF

Teknoromi