Author Topic: Sealing the mugs to make it leak proof  (Read 768 times)

sailer5373

Sealing the mugs to make it leak proof
« on: October 21, 2010, 04:21:20 pm »
Wondering what I can use to make my wooden mug leak proof?  I have a two part resin that I use on horizontal surfaces but if I put it on the mug sides it just sags down to the bottom.  It will seal it beautifully.  Is there a product out there I can use to brush on and beer :P liquid proof it?

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Sealing the mugs to make it leak proof
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 09:43:30 pm »
When I made mine, (out of plywood yet) it had alot of voids and did leak at first. I just kept coating it with polyurethane and letting it dry for several hours before testing it again. I just used water (saved the beer for last ;))
I am one of those that believe that most if not all modern finishes are food safe once they are fully cured.
I guess you could use shellac the same way but, it might take more coats. Shellac is used on medcine pills and candy (think M&Ms) so we know that it is food safe.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

sailer5373

Re: Sealing the mugs to make it leak proof
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 12:34:13 pm »
Thanks Roger for your speedy reply,...............I guess that's why your called rapid. lol  I think shellac is dissolved by alcohol though.  Wouldn't want to waste it.  I think I'll do like you,  save it to the final test. :D  Thanks again.

SMF

Teknoromi