Author Topic: finishing  (Read 1198 times)

bugg

finishing
« on: September 27, 2010, 05:50:36 pm »
My husband is a great cook and I wanted to make him something special so I made him a salt box. Now I am down to the finishing.  I had planned on using mineral oil for it because I know it is food safe but a friend suggested that the salt might draw the oil out of the wood and that might make the salt taste funny. Do you have any other ideas about how I should finish it?  My next Idea was to use a spray poly or lacquer on the outside and leave the inside unfinished. What do you think?  Thanks in advance for any advice.

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: finishing
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 06:49:56 am »
I don't see anything wrong with leaving the inside unfinished - Maybe one of the turners who make salt and pepper mills will have the answer.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 07:15:09 am »
Steve posted this on his blog July 4, 2010.  8)

Steve Good: "If you read any of the woodworking forums you will likely see discussions about food safe finishes. It's my opinion that most if not all modern finishes are food safe once they are fully cured. If you plan to sell items that will hold food people will ask about the finish. It's best to use a finish that most people know if food safe. Pure tung oil, raw linseed oil, mineral oil, walnut oil, bees wax and carnauba wax are all commonly used food safe finishes."
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 02:39:07 am »
Hi Bugg, if it is for salt leave it natural wood, I make salt and pepper shakers on the lathe and do not put anything on the inside of the shakers and the salt stays dry all year round
Jimbo

bugg

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 07:17:26 pm »
Thanks for the advice, everyone! ;D  gonna go with leaving it unfinished.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 09:33:00 pm »
If it were me...

I would put a finish on the outside only just to make it easy to wipe off and avoid any 'kitchen stains'.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SMF

Teknoromi