Author Topic: Scrollers  (Read 1685 times)

Kevin ( Bear ) Froese

Scrollers
« on: June 05, 2013, 08:37:34 am »
Hello
Just wanted to see how many of you do scroll work. I recently asked for help and I have had 44 views but no one to help. Just looking for someone with years of doing scroll work. If you cant hel let me know where to go. I have learned all from Steve's videos. I even emailed him personalty with no answer. Thanks for your time  and will not bother this group about this again.

Kevin

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: Scrollers
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 09:17:13 am »
I think what the problem is you have stumped everyone, therefore no one has an answer.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 09:54:32 am »
I think that Russ is correct.
I went back and reread your first post and am having trouble understanding exactly what you want to know. If I understand your question, you want to make a three dimensional model of an army helmet and have made one but, it took an hour and a half of sanding. Well, I don't know of any other way that a scroll saw would help you achieve your goal, therefore I can't answer your question.

Rog   
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 10:38:41 am »
Everybody on this forum does scroll work. Your request does not, unless you follow Russ's suggestion which will not save you any time.
Dan In Southern California

Kevin ( Bear ) Froese

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 10:52:38 am »
I first did this on the scroll by making two views and cutting. Did not work as good. I am new at scrolling and tryng to learn more because I like using the scroll saw. Please don't be mean.

Bear

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 11:27:34 am »
Kevin, No one on this forum is mean. What you are asking is just not in the realm of normal scroll work.
I would suggest you get some polymer clay and shape it the way you want, bake it as the directions say and then just light sanding and paint.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 11:32:14 am »
Back on your original post, I suggested you carve a mold and cast these from resin. It will save a lot of time if you are making more than a few (say >10), and since you paint them, you don't really need the wood as a material.

Too far outside the box?
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Kevin ( Bear ) Froese

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 03:40:10 pm »
Al the answers a great and I thank you. I want this to be made of all wood. So I will keep trying to come up with a way to cut it on my scroll saw. Al the other parts to this is dome with scroll saw. This one has been the most difficult. I like all the work you do her and want to be as good as you all.

Bear

Becky

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 09:31:43 pm »
Sorry, Bear.  I was one of those 44 views.  When I didn't have an answer for you I didn't reply.  No doubt somebody out there could figure out some design that would come together as a 3-dimensional piece but that wouldn't be me.  I wouldn't even know where to start.  On the other hand, I didn't think a "Sorry but I have no idea how to do that" would be helpful so I didn't post anything.

Steve frequently posts apologies for being behind with his mail.  If you read his recent post you would know he has been pretty busy recently.  And if he has to put some thought into a solution for you, that would also make it take longer.

This is a very helpful group of folks.  The 44 views should tell you that a heck of a lot of people wanted to see if they could help.  Try to interpret any lack of replies as either "I have no idea" or "Hmmm, I'm going to have to think about that" rather than as people not wanting to help you.

Kevin ( Bear ) Froese

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 10:43:03 pm »
Thank you Becky. I really want this to work. Its for our Service Men/Women and there family's. Something to have on there mante, desk or anyplace one could see.To showing there Honor to Protect the USA.

Bear

CaptSpiffy

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 08:10:50 pm »
Bear,

A while back Steve had a pattern the when put together ended up being a 3-d
human head. I must admit that it would take a boatload of sanding (which, I'm not
a fan of).
     Couldn't a pattern be done where it was made the same way and glued together
and then sanded? I would also think a woodturner might have some kind of idea on
how to make one a little easier. Maybe even a combination of woodturning and scrolling
might get the job done.

I will recommend 2 woodturners that might be able to help you. One fella lives
in Eureka, Montana by the name of Ian Jeffcock. to send him a message on Facebook,
type Ian Jeffcock woodturner in the search box. Another guy to contact is Dennis Liggett
who lives in Monument Colorado. Excellent woodturner who I think if it can be done,
Dennis has either done it , seen it done, or knows if it can be done.

What the heck, give it a shot, ya never know.

Mike

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2013, 07:42:36 am »
Just a thought - using the three dimensional model of a head mentioned earlier - take the application and fill the voids with polymer clay - bake appropriately - sand to desired level.  Not as much sanding and you have a wood core.

Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

SMF

Teknoromi