Author Topic: The ultimate scroll saw  (Read 7348 times)

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: The ultimate scroll saw
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2012, 12:39:05 pm »
I think Cathy has nailed it. The only things I would change is make the foot switch optional as not everyone uses one, and make the top arm adjustable to stay up on its own or let it come down by gravity.
The original Excalibur saw had an optional foot pedal to raise and lower the upper arm. This might be a good option.
also maybe a built in timer to keep track of the project cutting time and saw time.
But I think the most important thing is reliability, and a five year warranty and maybe free financing as this saw is going to cost a fortune!
Dan In Southern California

Terry Jackson

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2012, 01:52:32 am »
Great thread, thanks.

Started on a Hitachi, moved to and EX-21, and also picked up a DW 788 and a Hawk VS 21 and 26. 

The Hawk has issues with power at slow speeds, as well as with blade changes and it is a bottom feeder, period.  The DW needs Hercules to adjust the arm tension and the maximum lift of the arm barely accommodates a small stack.  The tension adjustment and the blade clamps are very good. 

The EX has decent blade clamps, but has a tendency to release the blade from the lower clamp, a feature not found on the DW 788.  The over-center tensioning on the EX works, but is a very poor second to the DW 788.  The EX has the tilting head which is a fabulous feature for those doing bowls because you are not fighting gravity as you make your cuts.

Dust collection is pretty easy with a box fan and a filter, no matter the saw.

Net of everything, the EX is close to perfect for my needs but needs a few tweaks and it would be great if General and/or Ray were reading this.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2012, 09:55:12 am »
Hey Terry, The upper arm on the DW 788 is not designed to stay up. It is designed for top feeding so the arm is designed to come down on its own.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2012, 12:03:52 pm »
Hey Terry, The upper arm on the DW 788 is not designed to stay up. It is designed for top feeding so the arm is designed to come down on its own.

Unless you add an "Easy Lift". Which I have done. Actually, I made my own and can adjust it so that I have to hold the arm down a little to clamp the blade. Or, you can use a block of wood to hold arm up like alot of others have done.  ;D

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2012, 07:42:55 pm »
I hope you have all these notes written down Dan as it is up to you to get all these good ideas to the manufacturers so they can see where they have gone wrong
Jimbo

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2012, 10:14:21 pm »
I don't have to write them down, Their all right here!

Terry Jackson

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2012, 11:08:20 pm »
dgman, I had Hercules come by and work on the DW and he got it to where the upper arm needs just a wee bit of help to come down, enough that you can thread the blade and gently feed it thru the tiny itsy-bitsy hole without catching the teeth on the workpiece and bend the blade to pretzel shape. 

If the same gut designed both saws, you wonder why he did not use the best of each.  That would be pretty close to your perfect saw.  But we all figure out how to get them to do what needs doing.
Terry

chief

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2012, 02:26:44 am »
I wish mine came with a better user.

tux_linux

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2012, 03:08:42 am »
Chief, which saw have you got? I bet some here can fix that for you ;D

Offline iggygiles

• I jus love sawdust
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2012, 09:03:02 am »
Vibration free would be good, that would make it silent as well, then I could use it in one of the spare bedrooms over winter. after all, the car has a drive train, engine, prop shaft, gear box, and back axle, and that does not vibrate. everything is mounted on rubber blocks, perhaps that is what is missing.  iggy. 
Frustration is the food of invention.

chief

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2012, 01:00:42 am »
Torsten I have a 788.  I actually dont use the scrollsaw a lot.  Most of my projects are just tablesaw, miter saw, and router table.

One thing everyone always complains about on the 788 is the arm not staying up when raised.  There is a bolt you can tighten about 1/4 turn and the arm will stay where you put it.  Now some people say that it is bad for the saw.  Well  the bolt that I tightened only supprots the upper arm and does not affect the operating mechanism of the saw.  It has caused no problems with my saw.  Yes I am a top feeder.

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2012, 01:16:04 am »
Two things I think are "must haves"...

1.  The upper arm has to stay up by itself.  I have a 788 with an easy lift system.

2.  A foot pedal.  It gives you so much better control and keeps your on/off switch from wearing out.  I have my on/off switch covered in tape to keep out sawdust.

Barry

SMF

Teknoromi