Author Topic: Scroll Reverse Blade  (Read 2222 times)

northie66

Scroll Reverse Blade
« on: May 08, 2010, 07:13:33 am »
It says on Mike's site "Splinter-free finish on top and bottom"... but the bottom of my work has splinters.  Any advice?

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Re: Scroll Reverse Blade
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 09:01:01 am »
Are you certain the blade is not in upside down?  That blade will cut both directions.  Try running your thumbnail up the blade it should catch on the teeth on the teeth when you run your nail up the blade. NO not in the saw or when it is running ...before you place the blade in the saw......
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 09:22:04 am »
Look at the blade with a manify glass. The top has all the teeth pointing down. At the very bottom a few teeth (3/4" or so) point up. What type of wood are you using.
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

UHMNL

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 10:24:52 am »
Janet,
Are you talking about the FD-UR blades? These blades have a little marking on one end. On the label it tells you if it is the top or the bottom of the blade. Numbers 1, 3, 5 means the top. The numbers 7, 9 it is the bottom. Someone in the factory made a mistake.
If you get splinters on the bottom, you might not have enough tension, or you might use regular plywood. This has a very soft core and splinters easy. That is why most use the Baltic Birch.
If you don't have enough speed, you have a tendency of pushing too hard into the blade, you will lose control over the blade. Instead of cutting the wood, the blade starts grabbing it.
FD Mike
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 12:38:04 pm by FD Mike »

northie66

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 10:24:39 pm »
Mike... I think they are FD-SR... I'll have to double check that though.  I'm sure the blade is not upside down.  It could be tension I suppose... but I have the tension all the way up.  (Dewalt)

UHMNL

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 11:04:14 am »
Janet,
The blade should not move sideways more then 1/8" and that is almost too much. The blade should give a very nice high ping sound.
The SR should not splinter wood on the bottom.  Let the blade do the cutting.
FD Mike

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 11:18:12 am »
FD Mike says....
Let the blade do the cutting.

I thik Steve should make us a pattern for this GEM of wisdom so we can all hang it above our saws!!!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Dan

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 01:00:43 pm »
Janet,

Somewhere on line i found instructions on how you can increase the tension by adjustint the tension rod on the 788. I did it and i did get more tension than with the factory setting. I do not have to crank the knob all the way to 5 anymore.

Dan

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 04:33:50 pm »
Dan,
If you can explain how to adjust the tension rod for me, I sure would like to know how to do it on my saw!
My saw has to max out to 5 all the time and sometimes it is not quite enough. Or at least not as much tension as I would like to have.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 04:47:44 pm »
Here is what I do when the tension on the blade is not tight enough. First release the tension. Push down on the upper arm. If there is slack on the blade, Release the lower blade clamp while still pushing down on the upper arm till the slack is removed. Then tighten the lower blade clamp and re-tension the saw.
Sometimes when I'm cutting the blade starts to wander off of the line I will check the tension and adjust as above.
Dan In Southern California

Dan

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 05:42:18 pm »
Roger,

Here is the web site I was talking about.  scrollsaws.com  Rick Hutchesons site.
Go there and see reviews in the left hand colume. Click on tune up your Dewalt. you will find lots of info. as well as how to adjust the tension rod. Great site!

Dan

SMF

Teknoromi