Author Topic: Lightly Used EX-21 For Sale...should I buy?  (Read 11343 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Lightly Used EX-21 For Sale...should I buy?
« on: May 05, 2010, 11:28:03 am »
Just found this info on CraigsList...

LIKE NEW - Excalibur EX-21 Scroll Saw with 21" throat capacity, 2" cutting thickness capacity, large 13-1/2" x 23-1/2" table surface with an onboard dust blower. Quick blade changes with finger operated blade clamps, no tools required. Easy access speed and tension controls. Organized blade storage on base. This machine has a unique tilting head which makes cutting pieces at an angle much easier.

I have owned this saw for one year. I have used it 3 or 4 times. I guarantee the motor has less than 1/2 hour run time. Basically this scroll saw is brand new. It comes with a foot pedal. It is sitting on a home made stand that is on wheels. This is one of those tools that I just HAD TO HAVE but just don't use. I paid $689 for this scroll saw one year ago and can provide you a copy of the invoice. You can have all of the extra blades that I have purchased. These machines sell on line from $650 (without the foot pedal) to $750 plus shipping. This is a real bargain. I have attached several photos of the actual scroll saw. If you would purchase the saw, you would have to come pick it up and get it out of my basement. I am not able to bring it up the steps.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
About 70 miles away....

He is asking $550

Any thoughts?

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Marshall

Re: Lightly Used EX-21 For Sale...should I buy?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 11:54:08 am »
This sounds like a far deal for anyone wanting a fine scrollsaw ...........

ripchief

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 02:06:05 pm »
I'm looking at upgrading myself, and the EX-21 is one of the candidates at the top of my list.

There are actually two separate things to consider:
- Whether or not to choose an EX-21 over other brands/models
- After deciding that the EX-21 is the right choice, is a used one just as acceptable as a new one?

From what I've read and heard, an Excalibur is a good choice...It and the Dewalt are the only two saws that use the parallel link system, which many people consider to be an advantage over parallel arm saws...The Excalibur is also the only saw that uses a system of tilting the saw instead of the table, which a lot of bevel cutters find advantageous.

Just because a piece of equipment is new, doesn't mean that It will be problem free...If that were the case, there wouldn't be any warranties in the world...A used model has the same chance of having problems as a new one...So, it comes down to paying more to ensure that the saw is covered under warranty, or paying less and hoping that it doesn't, or won't, have any problems.

As for choosing Excalibur, I think that's almost (not fully, but almost) a done deal...As for buying one used, I'm just a little torn on that one...The one that you're looking at is just about $110 to $135 less than retail (depending who you go through)...If you buy the used one at $550, and something goes wrong that costs less than about $100 to make the saw just like new, then you'll come out OK...However, since it will most likely need to be shipped off for any repairs (both ways), that might eat up your savings right there.

Looking at new ones, Woodcraft is charging $659, and Seyco is charging $685...One thing to point out is that Seyco is not only one of the leading retailers for Excalibur, but it is also THE authorized warranty service provider in the US...Excalibur is made by General International, whose website states that if you have any problems with your saw, the first thing to do is talk to the outfit that sold it to you...If you buy from Woodcraft, and something goes wrong, you need to contact them first, even tough you might eventually have to send if off to Seyco anyway...The point here is that for $26 more than Woodcraft, and $135 more than the one you found used, you can buy it new from Seyco, and if there's anything wrong with it, anything at all, they'll fix it, replace it, or refund your full purchase price - period.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 03:10:51 pm »
Those are basically my thoughts also. I was just looking for some reinforcement!

Anything USED that is mechanical in nature scares me!

Thanks!
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

ripchief

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 04:04:48 pm »
I become a believer in getting what you pay for...That doesn't mean that I need to find the most expensive of whatever, but in this case you're not paying for a warranty, so you're not getting a warranty...To compound the problem, some of these "used" sources operate under the no refund/no return policy...It's like playing Let's Make a Deal, and asking to blindly pay good money for whatever is behind curtain number 3, plus shipping.

In the case of scroll saws, my thinking is that you'll find saws in a variety of price ranges...The saws in the $100-200 range will cut, but they come with a list of quirks and issues that might eventually lead you to desire/need a better performing saw...On the other end of the spectrum an Eclipse costs $1750, but is the only saw on the market that will provide a true vertical cut and from what I've heard, doesn't have a lot of issues often seen in lower priced saws...That's a good example of a "get what you pay for" situation...The trick is to find your best compromise between the two that will perform as you need it to without a lot of issues, but still be affordable to you.

Offline tazman4647

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 04:15:52 pm »
you better grab that deal i just paid 700.00 for mine and i just love it i had a dewalt and its alot better than the dewalt
Wade

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 04:24:07 pm »
I agree you have to be careful with anything used someone is selling. My only suggestion would be is to negotiate the price down for lack of a warranty. That way you wouldn't lose money if in needs repair in the near future.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

ripchief

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 04:56:19 pm »
You're right...the price needs to account for the fact that the item is used and not new in the first place...It needs to account for a lack of warranty...And, it also needs to account for the overall condition of the item...There's a difference between a "deal", and an obligation to eventually spend more money in the long run.

There is probably one exception to this whole used thing in my book, and that would be trade...Let's say that I have a scroll saw that I no longer need, but it works and I just don't know what to do with it...I do however, need a drill pres; any drill press, because in that situation something is better than absolutely nothing...If I can find someone that needs a scroll saw, and has a drill press that they are similarly trying to figure out what to do with, then a trade might be the right solution for both parties...Take all of the consumer research considerations out of the picture for this scenario...This would be a situation that you want/need something/anything that will at least get you going until you can figure out something a little further down the road...Maybe the item you receive works out to be exactly what you want/need, but if not then maybe you can use the traded item as a test platform to help baseline your opinion for things to look for (or to avoid) when you pay actual money for the item that really want to get...If worse comes to worse, you're not out any money, and end up with the same number of pieces of equipment that you're just storing...No big deal...At least you didn't spend $550 on a saw that doesn't work out for you, and then need to spend an additional $685 for a new one...So you see that you could end up spending almost twice as much as if you'd bought that new one in the first place.

canadasgall

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 06:30:51 pm »
it says 70 miles away is that from you? if so why not take a drive and give the saw a try... i had my ex 21 for 4 years i bought it new and had no trouble with it as of yet still running like new, so for the price it would be worth the drive. then you can try to negotiate lol.

GWhit

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 09:10:35 pm »
At 70 miles,I'd be tempted to take some wood and take a ride.  If it performs you can always offer 500 or even less to see what happens.  Who knows you might come home with it.

Gordon

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 10:13:45 pm »
Well so far I have not heard back from the owner.
It may be gone for all I know at this time.

Feeling like I am sitting here with the devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other! <vbg>

Definitely worth the drive and there are some great places to visit on the way so IF he replies I may be taking a drive!

Thanks for all the 'input'!

Scrollers are an Awesome Lot!!!

~~~GrayBeard~~~

Curt

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 02:33:46 pm »
Well,
I have an EX-21 amd I just love it.  I use it 5-6 days a week and for about 7 hours a day and have had no problems at all....I LOVE th top feed and the tilting saw...Not the table  you always work on a flat surface.
Look at it/

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 04:28:56 pm »
I sent a second email to the owner and still no reply!

Must have sold it already....

OOOOOH Well! <heavy sigh>

~~~GrayBeard~~~

SMF

Teknoromi