Author Topic: Drilling Holes  (Read 7463 times)

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: Drilling Holes
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 08:59:09 am »
You are correct - they are brad point bits.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 09:26:40 am »
Brad point bits are really good if you need to drill very accurate holes. They make a point, and stick to their pint with out flexing as much as other bits.

Offline kimb

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 09:47:16 am »
I do like Julie does, I drill all my holes first and sand the back so it will slide around better.

Kim

Offline campasano

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 10:05:34 am »
I drill all of the hole areas and on the very small ones I turn the blank over and re-drill as to make sure the blade enters the hole with no trouble, at times I lightly sand the back to rid it of small burr material.
Do your part - go green - save the earth

marmoh

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 10:31:35 am »
I usually drill all the holes first, and then sand the back, and then use an old blade to insert in the holes to make sure they are "open". 

Chachi

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 11:28:15 am »
All at the same time Unless its a complex one as well then it gets drilled,cut,put away ,drilled, cut, put away, till I'm done with it...

cameronj

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 02:19:08 pm »
I always drill all of my holes first (except for some that I miss).  I find it is easier to drill at the drill press, and then move over to the saw.
Jim

ChuckD

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, 06:55:38 pm »
I guess I do the same way most of you do.  Drill the big easy holes first and work down in size.  Cut out the small hard areas first always leaving the big areas until last.  They usually have the toothpicks in them holding the project together.  I sand before even start the pattern laying etc.  It is a lot safer to do it then when you have don't to work around all those fragile pieces. 

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2011, 07:31:57 pm »
I usually drill all the holes first, and then sand the back, and then use an old blade to insert in the holes to make sure they are "open". 

Yup me too, but I use a large paper clip with the end straightened to poke through.
G
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2011, 08:04:19 pm »
Cant see that it makes much difference, if it's a large pattern I will drill a few them get up and drill some more but that is only so I get to stretch my weary bones
Jimbo

tj

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 08:38:08 pm »
mrsn,
Where do you get brad point drill bits in the small sizes that will work on our small detailed work?  I've been looking for them very unsuccessfully!

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 09:11:00 pm »
I am not sure about really small sizes but I can get 1/8" brad points at the big box hardware stores (lowes, home depot, or menards)

cgswss

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2011, 09:53:02 pm »
I get mine from Lee Valley  http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=42247&cat=1,180,42240

They go from 5/64 up

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2011, 03:38:40 am »
Mikes got the small twist drill bits. #71 through 1/16"
here at        http://www.mikesworkshop.com/newprod.htm
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

UHMNL

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2011, 02:26:00 pm »
It depends how big the pattern is. If not too many holes I drill them all at the same time. When it is a very big one I might drill 20 holes, drill them and walk back to my little drill press and cut 20 more holes. I write it down, that way it is easy to find out how many holes there are in the pattern. Many people have told me how many holes are in that project? Also I like to keep time, the same with the people again. How long dit that take you they ask. If you go to my web site and click on Scrollsaw- samples, you see the big Grand Father clock. It has 4045 holes and it took me 95 hours.
I have to admit that I was burned out for a few days.
FD Mike

SMF

Teknoromi