Author Topic: ex21  (Read 8969 times)

Offline BigPete

• Bonnie Scotland !
    • View Profile
Re: ex21
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2011, 01:30:36 pm »
I have to say Patch that nearly every review of the EX21 that i have seen is a positive one and the customer service seems to be excellent, sure if you look at any product there will be some way of improving it  , but you are only making bad comments without backing up what you say with facts :
1/ How many people have emailed you ?
2/ What was their problem ?
3/ Why are none of them backing you up on this forum ?
4/ Do you know of a better scroll saw and if yes what makes it better ?

Everybody is entitled to their opinion but a more balanced approach on what wrong with it and whats better out there would be more helpful to all the  scrollers out there ! unless of course you have a grudge against the EX21 and you dont want to help other scrollers ?...Pete

War does not determine who is right - Only who is left !

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2011, 01:50:03 pm »
It seems the more popular a product becomes, the more complaints you will  hear about. When the DeWalt 788 first came out, It was the best saw in it's price range available. Soon everybody had to have them. Thousand of saws were sold. Now all the problems with the saw are known. The same thing is is happening with the EX saw.
Most people don't realize that the DeWalt 788 and the Excalibur EX 16, 21 and 30 are  all related. All these saws were first designed by a company called Summerville Designs in Canada. This co. was producing the Excalibur saws first. DeWalt had Summerville Designs design and build the 788. The two saws were very similar in design, but the 788's were more affordable.
Latter the Excalibur saws were redesigned to compete with the 788, but still retained the same design as the 788. Then they where bought out by General International, which moved the manufacturing of the EX saws to Taiwan. The 788 is now made in Taiwan Also.
In my opinion, and it is only my opinion, that the more popular the EX saws become, the more problems will surface, just like the 788.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2011, 02:43:09 pm »
Well I've just got home from Axminster Power tools - with a brand new EX16.The assistant in the shop wanted to look at it to see the prob, he said "thats not right "and phoned Darren in their service department.I went in to see him and he said we'll keep your machine here so we can take it apart and work out what the problem is , but first let me get you new machine.he had his own area with an EX 21 and an EX30 set up on benches so he could Play with them , see how they work and how to adjust them, that way he said if anyone calls in he should know what they are talking about and possibly be able to give an answer to their problem. He asked me what I thought about the machine and its design, I told him there were only 2 design probs that I found and neither were too bad, the first was the air blower could do with another 4 - 5 segments on it so it could come forward further and blow dust away from me instead of at me, his answer to that was to fit 6 new segments onto my new machine (free) my other prob was where I had it mounted on a workbench, and not the proper table for it, the dust extractor pipe was inaccessible to put my adaptor and hose on it. I said if the machines fitting came out at 90deg there would be no problem, his answer to that was to give me a length of flexi hose to fit machines extractor port so it could flex around the bench and then my adaptor and hose would fit. Both probs sorted FOC and not only that he set up the machine's front to rear blade travel for me while i was there. While I was there he said he downloaded some plans to test the machines with, but plans were very basic, so I gave him the web address of Steves site and told him about the plans there. he said he will see about joining this forum too, so all you UK members should soon have an Axminster rep here to discuss probs or machine specs with. Todays trip to Axminster  proved my earlier comment, The service and backup from Axminster Power Tools is fantastic, and the staff are friendly and helpful, excellent service, Thank you Axminster Power Tools (and Darren) for your backup service.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2011, 03:39:43 pm »
That's Great news Keefie!
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2011, 04:49:07 pm »
That sounds like it should be named "Seyco East"!!!

I am glad you made the trip and got the problems resolved!

~~~GB~~~

I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline BigPete

• Bonnie Scotland !
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2011, 04:55:28 am »
That is excellent news Keefie  ;) so can you purchase new segments for the blower and how easy were they to fit as i may do this myself?
i am pleased for you mate and it only confirms Axminsters aftersales service
well done !..Pete

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2011, 07:18:43 am »
It is so good to hear all the feedback here!  Great way to let others know so they can make good decisions. Way to go everyone! :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2011, 10:28:36 am »
Hi BigPete, Yes , you can get the segments for the blower. If you bend the blower as far as it will go then just push it that little bit more they seperate and the new ones just pop back together. If you call Axminster after the hols then ask to speak to Darren Peach, he's the one who helped me and he had loads of them just lying on his bench, If you asked him for the part number so you could order some he would probably just send you some foc. The new machine has been tested and is working better than first one ever did, there is zero front to back blade movement I can stand a pound coin behind the blade and it doesn't move whereas the old machine still had between 1/16 and 1/8th inch movement there, and the blade is really steady as you start a cut but on old machine there was little bit of wobble so awkward to line up blade to start cut. All in all a good machine with excellent backup service from Axminster too, what more can you ask for.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline BigPete

• Bonnie Scotland !
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2011, 10:53:05 am »
SUPERB ! mate  i will contact them after  hols.
Now you have a saw that is in tip top working order we will be expecting some great things from you !  ;) Merry Christmas ....Pete

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2011, 05:01:33 pm »
SUPERB ! mate  i will contact them after  hols.
Now you have a saw that is in tip top working order we will be expecting some great things from you !  ;) Merry Christmas ....Pete

Yeah I got air hose for my ex-21 that is 40" long........................................................
I made it myself... works great.... blows good...
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

chipwood

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2012, 05:26:29 am »
hi all,
Got my ex-21 a couple of weeks ago and set ip up over the xmas hols.
It seems fine to me so far cuts great and feels easy to use.
But there will always be faults here and there as long as the makers improve on these and take on board what people are saying, especially on forums like this as these members are the life blood of the craft.
If users are treated with good care from the wholesallers and manufacturers that is all they can ask as they pay hard earned cash for this hobby.

Sunlion

« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2012, 03:30:58 pm »
Well I've just got home from Axminster Power tools - with a brand new EX16.The assistant in the shop wanted to look at it to see the prob, he said "thats not right "and phoned Darren in their service department.I went in to see him and he said we'll keep your machine here so we can take it apart and work out what the problem is , but first let me get you new machine.he had his own area with an EX 21 and an EX30 set up on benches so he could Play with them , see how they work and how to adjust them, that way he said if anyone calls in he should know what they are talking about and possibly be able to give an answer to their problem. He asked me what I thought about the machine and its design, I told him there were only 2 design probs that I found and neither were too bad, the first was the air blower could do with another 4 - 5 segments on it so it could come forward further and blow dust away from me instead of at me, his answer to that was to fit 6 new segments onto my new machine (free) my other prob was where I had it mounted on a workbench, and not the proper table for it, the dust extractor pipe was inaccessible to put my adaptor and hose on it. I said if the machines fitting came out at 90deg there would be no problem, his answer to that was to give me a length of flexi hose to fit machines extractor port so it could flex around the bench and then my adaptor and hose would fit. Both probs sorted FOC and not only that he set up the machine's front to rear blade travel for me while i was there. While I was there he said he downloaded some plans to test the machines with, but plans were very basic, so I gave him the web address of Steves site and told him about the plans there. he said he will see about joining this forum too, so all you UK members should soon have an Axminster rep here to discuss probs or machine specs with. Todays trip to Axminster  proved my earlier comment, The service and backup from Axminster Power Tools is fantastic, and the staff are friendly and helpful, excellent service, Thank you Axminster Power Tools (and Darren) for your backup service.

Hi Keefie,

I initialy put an order in couple to three weeks prior to christmas, cannot recall exact date. Anyhow they said they had no EX-21's in stock until February, so I cancelled and tired elsewhere, as I hoped to purchase one for January at least. (The female member of staff who contacted me was very nice and understanding).

So I tried this other supplier and that was the same response, ie February, so I decided I would not order from the alternative place and go back to Axinster site and re-order a machine with them, as they are main supplier.

Anyhow I thought well if its February its February, I can be pholosophical about it and wait. The lady who cantacted me previously contacted me again having ordered again online, and informed me that there would indeed still not be a shipment untill February, however there was a machine in stock up North from me (I am in Manchester) and she could ship that down to Warrington I think it was, then ship it to me in Manchester, but could not guarentee a pre-Christmas delivery. Well, at least it would not be February.

It worked out great, the machine was dispatched on the 23rd and was delivered the following week.

I was very grateful to the young lady who contacted me and help to get a machine to me for Christmas. I was impressed with the service, the machine when I tested it before atempting a solid setup was great, I literaly got it out of the box and did some test cuts and was immediately impressed.

At the moment I am still configuring part of my workshop/Shed but should be up and scrolling in a couple of weeks from now once I have sorted some more changes out in my man cave.

I have read several accounts of good service from Axminster from other people online, and this was the reason eventualy that I ended up re-order from them rather than looking elsewhere.

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2012, 05:34:01 pm »
I said Axminster gives good service. I am glad you have your machine now, arent they a nice machine to use? you will have so much fun with it you're not going to want to leave the "mancave"

SMF

Teknoromi