Author Topic: What Scrollsaw you use?  (Read 11317 times)

chief

Re: What Scrollsaw you use?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 12:47:50 am »
Hab a Ryobi that broke blade holders all the time.  Got a Delta 16" that I still have in the box, and now I have a Dewalt 788.

gunado

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 03:48:59 am »
I have a Delta 16" great saw best I have used, easy blade change down to 3/0

mouse

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 04:12:30 am »
Mine is a SIP 01373 16" about 3 months old. I modified the top clamp to quick release and the side panel for better access to the bottom clamp. For the price a very nice little saw.

patch

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 06:41:46 am »
I have a delta it rattles and bangs  but still goes well it would be 4years old. I also have a Excalibur will never bay one again it will not stand up to the hard work bearing are housed in aluminium and come loss had to turn it out and put a metal sleeve to fix the problem  blade holder wears thread out again only  aluminium I use my saw 5 to 6 hours 5 days a week and it just over 12 months old  I paid $1300 AU for it thinking you only get what you pay for so I thought I was getting a good saw

Manuel

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 07:56:45 am »
Just curious what Scrollsaws everyone uses, there are so many on the market, some good, some not so good, so why not tell us about your saw/saws.

I'll start the ball rolling..

I started with a Hand Fretsaw about 24 years ago, hard work.. then i bought a cheap Clark 16" Scrollsaw, it served it's purpose but not a saw i would recommend though, now i use an old Walker-Turner J782 Scrollsaw thats around 60 years old, it's a lovely old saw to use, blade changes are a little slow by modern standards but still much faster than the Clark, i made a table for it from 3"x2" pine and 3/4" Baltic Birch Ply, altogether very heavy but very stable.

So what saw do you use?

Ian

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 08:11:38 am »
M.Ramirez,
What is your point of just quoting someone ?  :o
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

keidiag

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 09:47:40 am »
I used a Makita SJ401 for quite some time until I wore it out. Not a bad little saw for the price...almost vibration free. I bought another SJ401 because the first one was so reliable. I only used it for about 20 hours when I decided I needed something much better to build my clocks and to be able to use a #8/0 jewelers blade so I purchased the Dewalt 788. The 788 is a fantastic saw...no vibration and I can use those very fine blades. I still use the Makita for sanding and filing.

Keith

Denny

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 10:06:47 am »
Dewalt 788, Works like a charm. 

cherie

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2010, 10:38:08 am »
I have a delta it rattles and bangs  but still goes well it would be 4years old. I also have a Excalibur will never bay one again it will not stand up to the hard work bearing are housed in aluminium and come loss had to turn it out and put a metal sleeve to fix the problem  blade holder wears thread out again only  aluminium I use my saw 5 to 6 hours 5 days a week and it just over 12 months old  I paid $1300 AU for it thinking you only get what you pay for so I thought I was getting a good saw

Patch, did you let Seyco know about the problems you were having?  After reading how you dislike yours, I may not consider this one anymore.

ripchief

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2010, 10:49:25 am »
Cherie...Seyco is NOT the manufacturer of Excalibur...They are one of many distributors in the US; perhaps one of the most popular...Excalibur is actually manufactured by General International...The company is based in Canada, even though manufacturing takes place in Taiwan...Please refer to the following website for more information, including contact info:

general.ca

firestarter

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2010, 12:35:05 pm »
right now i'm useing my mom's 16" delta scrollsaw because my delta one broke one day.

mark1945

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2010, 05:55:19 pm »
Started out with a Craftsman14 " which I still have.Thought I was upgrading to a Hitachi 16 " it mostly just set around now its the worst saw i ever owned.Now using a Dewalt 788 and love it smooth,quiet, easy to change blades.
Mark

wllcpenney

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 06:00:01 pm »
I use an MasterCraft 16 inch varblie speed a cheap saw but it gets the job done untill i come across a better saw

wllcpenney

garyinnevada

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2010, 07:40:09 pm »
I have a RBI Hawk 220 VS Ultra. This saw is a joy to operate. So quiet, so smooth, there's nothing like it.

patch

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2010, 08:04:58 pm »

Patch, did you let Seyco know about the problems you were having?  After reading how you dislike yours, I may not consider this one anymore.
Hi Cherie
I let the suppler know (Car-ba-tec ) here because it was under warranty, if I pay shipping both ways ($160 and Three weeks to repair ) they would repair it but in a few months I would have the same problem that when I took the step to repair it my self being a tool maker I have the gear and knowledge to do this
don't get me wrong here I think the Idea of the saw is great. It is a dream of mind to build a saw with all the good points in one saw
don't be put of by my bad experience the saw could be ok for you it must be personal choice   

SMF

Teknoromi