Author Topic: What got you started in this hobby?  (Read 8647 times)

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
Re: What got you started in this hobby?
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2010, 08:51:30 pm »
I got my scroll saw at an internet auction really cheap and was not really expecting to win it, it lay in my work shop for around 6 months before I did anything on it now I think I am hooked but the Ryobi is so frustrating to use, I have looked T getting a better machine but they are very hard to come by in NZ, it is mainly the cheaper models that are available, I can get an Excaliber but at $1400 plus frieght is a bit much.
Jimbo
PS I am also a woodtuner hobiest

Becky

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2010, 10:24:06 pm »
I've always wanted to be able to make things to give as gifts but never considered myself clever at any crafts.  I tried a bunch though.  A couple of years ago I decided to try carving.  I was never particularly gifted at that either but enjoyed working with the wood.  Starting last summer, I thought about getting a scroll saw so that I could rough out some basic shapes - mostly because I am intimidated by band saws.

I went to youtube to look for videos and found Steve's.  I watched all of them.  Finally in December, I bought myself a Christmas present - my first scroll saw.  Funny thing is, I haven't carved since.  I'm totally in love with the saw now and I can already make things on it that are far nicer (in my opinion) than anything I ever carved.

juvy

« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2010, 10:31:29 pm »
Jiimbo - I know the frustration we encounter trying to buy a good saw over here in Australia.
Not many models to choose from... but one of the new guys from our club just bought a Sherwood saw while at a woodshow.
I have to say.... I'm impressed.  The price is right.. he said just over $300... that was about the price of the Delta.... and it's VERY VERY quiet!  Only thing... they had to do a bit of surgery on it... cut away part of the top covering so things were easier to reach. Then installed Hegner blade holders and all's fine!

Worth a look I think.

Juvy

Curt

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2010, 01:40:10 pm »
I have no idea why I started scrolling....I just opened a magazine and saw what people were doing.  I never worked with wood before.  now I love it.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2010, 07:25:18 pm »

At the time my wife was in a tole painting club that met at our house once a week. Seeing the  cutouts they would buy at the tole store, I new I could do that if I had a scroll saw. So Santa brought me a Dremel saw that year.
I started cutting wood for about 12 women every week. Making about $300 a month, was able to buy new tools and build up a nice shop. That was about 15 years ago and the Dremel has been retired. I now have two DeWalt 788's.
Dan In Southern California

Dawie

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2010, 10:19:58 am »
Hi I started scroll sawing about 18 months ago. This after I had to stop my regular job as a result of 2 minor strokes. I started to attend a day care centre(I think that is what you call it), and asked if I could do something with wood. At first I tried wood carving, but than saw this scroll saw standing in a conrner doing nothing, I asked if somebody could explain how it works nad that was the start. I started on scrap wood, but within a week I was making other things. This was on a Hegner. Hegner was to expensive for me to buy, so I looked around for an alturnative and bought a Proxxon DSH/E. Super machine and I truely must say that I am addicted. Friends and friends of friends keep asking if I can make this or that for them, so I am forever trying new things and buying new books and patterns via internet as there is very little of that stuff in this neck of the woods(Netherlands). At the Day Care I make stuff which is sold in our shop there. I don't think I will ever get tired of it.
David.

supershingler

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2010, 09:30:00 pm »
i bought my first scrollsaw to cut out thing that i was making on my carvewright cnc.  it was faster and easier on my carver.  i wished i had bought my scrollsaw before the cnc.  i have been woodworking since i can remember.  my grandfather was a carpenter and he developed my love for woodworking.
i just got back into woodworking a couple of years ago and cant wait to get of work and into the shop.
i have had a bandsaw for years and did alot of cutting for my wife and she like to paint the yard ornaments and thing like that so it was just natural to fall in love with scrollsawing.
i stated witha used hegner but didnt like the single speed and the time it took for blade changes so i up graded to a dewalt 788 and love it.
only thing that keep me out of the shop is these darn forums  lol.

kendall

dankc908

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2010, 07:24:38 am »
My wife and I had been in a MLM program.  We added some crafts to our 'lineup' in order to get into a couple of shows that allowed the MLM products but required some handmade crafts.  Since we were selling spices and other kitchen 'goodies' we added a few aprons.  The aprons began outselling the MLM products and we found that we made more money on the handmade crafts.  We added crocheted hand towels and some table runners and the crafts began selling better and better.  At our last show of the season, 4+ years ago, my wife said "You need to do something to help with the craft side of our business too."  At the same time Sears had a sale on their scroll saws.  I bought the saw then began to research what I could offer on the crafts side.  Since then we have given up on the MLM program (MLM = Most Lose Money), I have upgraded to a Yellow Beast (shoulder surgery - too hard to set the tension on the Craftsman), added a lathe, and am now the local "Pen and Clock" guy - hence the website "Pens, Clocks, 'N More".  I have discovered that my passion is working with exotic woods.  I'm anxious to see if I can find some bamboo cutting boards that were mentioned elsewhere on this forum (I know - not a wood - but definitely 'exotic')!

Dan

Edgar

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2010, 07:57:58 am »
i was in a boarding school and one year one the priest showed us how to scroll. Wiht the choice between scrolling of freezing outside during winter the decision was easy.
Edgar

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2010, 01:21:29 am »
I was cleaning out some old tools I had in the garage, one of which was an old PowerKraft scroll (jig?) saw.  Had a small sanding disk on the side, but the whole thing was falling apart.  I tossed it and started looking for a replacement which I just had to have, never mind that I hadn't used the PowerKraft for 30 years!  Bought a scroll saw at Lowe's for $140 that vibrated so much I had to chase it, took it back and tried two different low end units, and finally ended up buying the DW788 many people recommended.  Haven't done a lot of projects so far, mostly made sawdust learning how to scroll and using the internet for my knowledge base.  I'm enjoying what I've done and hope to get into some "real" scrolling soon, want to make gifts for grands and great grands!

Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Curt

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2010, 01:46:36 pm »
Simple....I retired.

Rightarm

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2010, 01:57:28 pm »
One word. BOREDOM. 8) dave

cameronj

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2010, 09:42:22 pm »
About 12 years ago, my wife was buying a basic teddy bears at a store, dressing them like a granny, a princess, Snow White, etc., and selling them at craft shows.  After she made a granny bear that was knitting, she wanted a rocking chair to sit it in.  When she asked me if I could make one, I replied "How?".  My son was taking the tech subjects at high school and said I needed a scroll saw.  I said "What's that?"  I had no idea.

So we went to Home Depot, and he showed me one.  I bought the cheapest one, and brought it home thinking I wouldn't use it much.  Well, after getting used to working with that saw, I couldn't leave it alone!!  Since I had used a coping saw as a kid, and had worked on a bandsaw at the factory for at least 5 years, I had no problem following a basic line.  I made the rocking chair and soon I was making more stuff for the craft shows than she was.   Now I like to work on very intricate patterns.  I have also taught some advanced scrollsaw classes here in London.

John

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2010, 07:01:13 pm »
I got started by walking past a shop that was selling Name plaques for children. The wife wanted to pay $40 each for 2 plaques. Nothing special. I thought no way am I paying $80 for 2 small plaques. Size was roughly 12 inches by 4inches.

So went out and paid $120 for a beginner saw. Made 2 plaques. One was for my son Matthew, the letters were like a 3D effect on the wood. The other one was for my daughter Rebecca again 3D with a Love heart at the end.

I put them up on their bedroom doors. I then got hooked and started making loads of stuff.

I then made a plaque for my daughters friend who liked dogs.

Fred

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2010, 12:25:57 pm »
My younger brother and his son have been scrolling for awhile and when my brother bought himself a new saw he gave me his older Delta. I have a lot to learn but love trying new patterns.

SMF

Teknoromi