Author Topic: Tertius clock build  (Read 7210 times)

Chachi

Re: Tertius clock build
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 12:52:31 am »
That was just bad HW just bad /shaking head lol
Looking good Malc

woodentimes

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 02:48:45 am »
Hi Malcolm
You are doing a wonderful job, it is always great to see my clocks being made, can not wait to see the finished Tertius.
Dave

malc

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 07:31:34 am »
Hi Malcolm
You are doing a wonderful job, it is always great to see my clocks being made, can not wait to see the finished Tertius.
Dave
Hi Dave, nice to have you onboard. Downside is you will be able to cast your designers eye over my progress of your design! Must do my best not to disappoint!!
Malc

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 09:44:29 am »
Hi Malcolm
Dave
Hey Dave, Welcome to the forum! Malc is doing a great job at cutting and building your clocks! It's wonderful that he is sharing it with us as he go's along with the build!
Dan In Southern California

woodentimes

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 11:40:58 am »
Malcolm
I did not want to give you the feeling that I am "looking over your shoulder" ;)  I just think it is great what other craftsmen are able to do with my plans, and when the clock is finished you have a hand made thing of beauty (and it even tells the time!). Are you going to make your pillars from wood?
Dave

malc

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 12:50:42 pm »
Yes they will be wood
Malc

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 01:33:39 pm »
Dave, I looked at your website. I can't wait to buy a plan and make one of your clocks. They are beautiful!. Malc you are doing a great job so far. I can't wait to see how you finish it.

tux_linux

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 02:13:08 pm »
It's ok Dave!

We need to keep an eye on Malc - he's not just playing with the time, but he is also figuring out how to rebuild the world  ;D ;)

regards
Torsten

boxmaker

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 07:20:56 pm »
I think it is great having the designer and the builder in one room. I'll just enjoy , Thank You both.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2011, 09:13:52 pm »
I am looking forwrd to a good time watching.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

woodentimes

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2011, 07:28:30 am »
Malcolm
I can almost feel the pressure build up! The eyes of the world are watching your Tertius progress, and if that is not enough the designer even decides to chip in. Oh you poor man :)But I guess such things do separate the wheat from the chaff. How about a webcam in your workshop ;D ;D. I often think it is a great pity that we do this online, it would be great to sit with you guys over a few beers and just chew the fat, I am certain we would have a great and fruitful meeting.
Yours Dave
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 07:30:41 am by woodentimes »

tux_linux

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2011, 09:33:30 am »
Lego  ;D It's funny to see how much people to use it for some technical purpose. I had a lot of Lego in my youth - and my brother restarted collecting some years ago.

@Dave
I have one question: As I'm watching your beautiful clocks, and also the clocks of Clayton Boyer, I noticed, that all the wheels on those clocks do not have a finish like oil, wax or lacquer. Why is this? Would it make the wheels non-circular / unbalanced ?

regards
Torsten

woodentimes

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2011, 01:08:45 pm »
Torsten
The reason is that a finish which develops a surface, such as varnish, wears off the contacting surfaces of the teeth and starts to "gum" up the gear train. So if you wanted to treat the cogs you would have to mask off the teeth and check that you have no varnish on their surfaces. Or you could just use a stain, but as said nothing that forms a wearable surface. And I find if you have a darkish frame, the untreated cogs provide a good contrast, attracting your eye to all those slowly turning cogs.
Dave

tux_linux

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2011, 04:31:26 pm »
ah - ok, that's why. I'm actually fine with the pure look, I like to see the natural wood.

might try one too..sometime..  ::)

regards
Torsten

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2011, 08:15:43 am »
Warning

I have removed the pictures/links to the images posted thru Image Shack of Malc's Tertius clock build after several complaints (me included) of Malware/Virus. Anyone who has viewed the pictures/links thru Image Shack should take precautions and check/scan there computer.
I believe the problem is Image Shack not Malc and have notified him to contact Image Shack of the situation.

Sorry for any inconvenience, I believe we have had one member infected already.

Russ
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 09:28:02 am by Russ C »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

SMF

Teknoromi