Author Topic: Dust Collection  (Read 8273 times)

juvy

Re: Dust Collection
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2010, 06:49:25 pm »
Since I scroll in a spare bedroom in the house we had to do something.... Ken bought me a dust extractor last year... even installed it....
It works sort of... but I still have dust over everything in that room... ( who am I kidding? Got it all over the house! lol) and I try to remember to use the shop vac after each session... it is LOUD..... don't like it one bit.
Not helping that I also started to be too lazy to always carry the drill press ( with sanding mop installed) outside... was too hot in the summer... now it's raining.. so yes.. I confess... I've started using it inside that room... guess it's really a bit much for the dust extractor ... I do have dust all over the walls.... but... I AM having FUN :)

Oh and yes... I DO religiously wear a dust mask... the dust-be-gone one!!!! Only one comfy enough to wear all the time.  Should probably wear it 24 hours in my house! lol

Juvy

gunado

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 01:36:25 am »
Russ
do you have any pics of your DE setup

Cheers

cherie

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 05:19:30 pm »
If you have no dust, does this mean your not working?   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 05:33:45 pm »
No Cherie it just means you have good extraction.
Well I guess I have to save some of the green stuff and get a decent dust system over da saw.
I brought a small extractor fan real cheap but even with the thing sitting on the table top it just looks at the dust.

Back to the drawing board.

Merlin 
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

billybob911

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 04:12:07 am »
Hi, could I see a pic of your dust extraction set up please?

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 07:26:18 am »
I use shop vacs - one for the table saw, miter saw and router table - one on the other side of the room for the sanders - and a little stinger mounted under the excaliber for the scroll saw.  When I get the band saw and drum sander - i'll install a shop collection system.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 08:02:30 am »
I connected a normal vac on my DIY dustcollecter.
two buckets on eachother with a siphon in de lid.
ther are two holes in thet bottum of the upper bucket.
the tube goes (tight) from the siphon to one hole into the lowest compartment.
the  white hose goes to the saw. the black to the vac.
I plug it in to the machine i use.
it collects about 85% of the large pieces of sawdust.
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 01:00:44 pm »
I have a Delta Dust Collector connected, by 4" Rigid and Flex hoses, to all pieces of equipment as shown in pictures of my shop on this forum.

This is the dust collector I have on my scroll saw, which collects about 80% of what is generated while cutting.  It's connected to a shop vac., which is housed in a cabinet outside the shop so I hardly hear it.  The vac turns on automatically with the scroll saw switch and shuts off about 2-3 seconds after the saw is shut off.  The upper pick-up sucks the dust up instead of blowing it off the table.

The detachable collection box, on the front of the SS stand, is where the rest of the dust falls and also is where I toss all scraps, when cutting.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline Lakelad

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 04:55:29 pm »
For a couple of years I used a box fan with filters mounted to the input as well as the output side. Then I got my hands on a squirrel cage blower out of a furnace and built a box around it and have filters at the intake and output sides. The intake side is just a regular air conditioner filter and then a more expensive filter at the output to catch smaller particles. I set the box fan behind me and the filter system in front of my saw and blow everything toward it. However, it has enough strength to draw well in my small shop.
Gary
I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 05:16:37 pm »
I have a Delta Dust Collector connected, by 4" Rigid and Flex hoses, to all pieces of equipment as shown in pictures of my shop on this forum.

This is the dust collector I have on my scroll saw, which collects about 80% of what is generated while cutting.  It's connected to a shop vac., which is housed in a cabinet outside the shop so I hardly hear it.  The vac turns on automatically with the scroll saw switch and shuts off about 2-3 seconds after the saw is shut off.  The upper pick-up sucks the dust up instead of blowing it off the table.

The detachable collection box, on the front of the SS stand, is where the rest of the dust falls and also is where I toss all scraps, when cutting.

very nice setup !
want to copy that..... 8)
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2010, 05:40:23 pm »
Al that smaller hose on the pickup under the saw, does that suck up all the dust from the top of the table, cause I have Hegner look-a-like saw and has the same system and it doesn't pick up squat.
I have a 1100watt shop vac (damn noisy) I'll have to get an old fridge and place outside the workshop to put it in, that'll shut it up LOL

Merlin
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2010, 06:27:48 pm »
These are the pics I put on about a month ago, it is simple and works, I use a domestic vac. and it takes away about 90% of the dust, I would also like a filter but they are so expense in NZ, I think the blade to use is a skip tooth as it takes the dust down
Jimbo

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2010, 06:57:55 pm »
Merlin, My upper hose collection works good. The system is connected to a Fein, Model lll Turbo Dust Collector.
It fairly quiet, 57.8 db.  It's 1200w with 126 cfm, & 15 gal. wet/dry capacity
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

juvy

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2010, 07:10:00 pm »
All this sounds great for collecting dust...... but what do you do about the noise?
I have tried a regular vac and shop vac.... it drove me around the twist. I can't sit there several hours with that high level noise. I could use ear plugs, but aside from being uncomfortable I couldn't hear the phone or door bell... that's fine for an half hour job, but not for several hours.  I love scrolling but sometimes all the safety makes me feel like a astronaut in full gear... glasses, dust mask, ear plugs..... takes a lot of the fun out of it.
So if anyone knows how to avoid the noise, short of having to spend hundreds of dollars for a dust extractor that sits outside........... now THAT would be fantastic!!!!!

Juvy <-------- ...... wanting to do the right thing, but getting frustrated

northie66

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2010, 07:15:32 pm »
Scroll saw outside.  The wind will take the dust.  :)

SMF

Teknoromi