Author Topic: Cold Hands  (Read 5921 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Cold Hands
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2010, 11:32:39 am »
I bought a small space heater with a fan.  I set it up on my workbench about  two feet from my saw and it works great in the cold temps.  :+}

Dannny...I am designing a 'Lower Shelf' for the DeWalt stand so I will be able to set my little ceramic heater right under the saw for when the cold weather sets in. Plan to go out and turn it on about 1/2 hour before I start working so the table warms up!
It was bad enough last winter with the cast aluminum table but I can't imagine what the steel table will be like at 40?!!!
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

northie66

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2010, 09:32:58 pm »
Danny... I have the same thing.  And I enclose the part of the garage that my workshop is in with tarp walls... makes it a smaller space to heat.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 03:07:15 am »
Concentrate on the question Janet and stop the drooling, all us Kiwis are handsome, back to the question on cold hands, on the lathe I wear leather gloves but as yet have had no problems on the saw, [it is probably still to new] but I tend to keep my hands fingers on the wood more than the metal table perhaps I am doing somthing wrong!!
Jimbo
Welcome Rimu, that is what I use most for most of my projects

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 03:08:22 am »
Just had another look he is nothing like Bruce
Jimbo

jowshu98

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 05:22:23 pm »
I have a radiant heat lamp that looks like a tall fan and oscillates as well. It warms up the entire space quickly until the furnace in the garage/shop brings the temp up. I would be concerned about a shock hazard with it attached directly to the metal top; sorry, the building safety inspector in me had to mention it. Just looking out for all my compadres.

Don

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2010, 05:41:54 pm »
So you are one of THOSE guys, Don!

I would guess that not many 'shops' would immediately pass inspection for a number of reasons!

I can run a lot of tools off the same circuit....as long as I don't use them at the same time which is almost impossible anyway! Both of the duplex receptacles have those nice 6 receptacle adapters so I make sure if I need to run two things at once they are plugged in across the shop from each other on separate circuits.

And that is why I converted to 'propane' heat with the tank on the outside of the shop.
Electric heaters suck too much current.

I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

jowshu98

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2010, 08:23:52 pm »
Joined the "dark side" :) a couple of years ago and yes I know that most shops would not pass inspection. I started my career in the building trades as an electrician and later after college designing and engineering post and beam and modular homes.

I'm not perfect but I've seen my share of things and I try to keep Darwin and Murphy out of the shop as much as possible. You're a step ahead of me with two circuits in the garage, adding another is on my list of things to do.

Don

So you are one of THOSE guys, Don!

I would guess that not many 'shops' would immediately pass inspection for a number of reasons!

I can run a lot of tools off the same circuit....as long as I don't use them at the same time which is almost impossible anyway! Both of the duplex receptacles have those nice 6 receptacle adapters so I make sure if I need to run two things at once they are plugged in across the shop from each other on separate circuits.

And that is why I converted to 'propane' heat with the tank on the outside of the shop.
Electric heaters suck too much current.

boxmaker

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2010, 08:37:46 pm »
Janet,what an excellent idea with the tarp. I heat my shop with a 220v electric wall heater w/thermostat, and in the winter my electric bills almost double. I think I will try moving my scroll closer to the heater this winter and make a smaller area with a tarp. Thanks for the great idea.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2010, 09:01:36 pm »
I built my own shop. Put in a 200 amp sub panel. Having enough electricity is not a problem.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2010, 03:05:27 am »
Never had a problem with cold hand on the saw untill I read this post from Rimu now the stuff has hit the fan and I have come up with my own solution on how to best the cold hand syndrome.
It will be in the next post that I make!!!!! if you all can wait that long
Jimbo

SMF

Teknoromi