Author Topic: Veneering and Marquetry  (Read 9813 times)

countryscroller

Veneering and Marquetry
« on: December 27, 2012, 02:29:33 pm »
I have been inspired to start a new technique with the scroll saw of Marquetry. I watch the Gwinnett Woodworkers on youtube. They had a segment on Marquetry. They led me to this site -> http://www.schurchwoodwork.com/index.html  I was going to start with the starter kits they have and purchase a DVD on the subject. They have a veneering and marquetry kit and DVD. What is the difference between Veneering and Marquetry? Should I purchase both kits and DVD's or are they basically the same? Thanks for the advice!

rob roy

Re: Veneering and Marquetry
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 06:51:17 pm »
Hi, Countryscroller, Veneering is just that. Sheets of veneer on a base timber such as pine to enhance the piece. Marquetry is veneering with varied colors and shades make up pictures of scenery or flower patterns. You can also have parquetry which is much the same as marquetry only this time the veneers form geometric designs. I used to make church furniture which involved all three types. Sometimes we used bone, ivory, and mother of pearl.
Hope this is of some use to you Countryscroller.
Rob Roy.

countryscroller

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 10:02:50 pm »
Thanks Rob, I plan on getting both DVD's Paul Schurch has and the starter kit. I hope to get the hang of it and possibly make a video on a piece in the future. Thanks again!

Becky

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 12:52:00 am »
Wow, this is weird.  I was just watching some youtube videos on marquetry tonight myself.  I was thinking it might make an interesting alternative when it is either too cold or too hot to get out into my garage shop to work with my saw.  The videos I saw showed people cutting the veneer with a knife and not a scroll saw.  Veneer is pretty thin stuff.  I think you'd need several layers to cut it with a scroll saw - but then I confess I am really not sure.

I am going to look at the vids you mentioned.  On the ones I saw it looked like the finished piece just laid on top of a backer board and was not inlaid.  I'm not even sure if that impression is right to be honest.  The subject has piqued my interest though.  I usually lose about 3 months a year of shop time to cold and hot.  It would be nice to have something to fill the gaps besides dreaming of my next projects (or fretting that I can't get to them).

Please let me know if you like the kits, Country.

countryscroller

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 01:39:01 am »
Yeah I guess Paul Schurch decided to use a scroll saw instead of a knife to do marquetry. I plan on getting the kit within the next couple weeks and will post it on here when I get it.

rob roy

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 01:59:04 pm »
Hi there Countryscroller, if you are cutting thin veneer with a scrollsaw. Stack cut it and put a piece of cardboard on the bottom as the very thin veneer will tear out on the underside if you intend keeping the bottom piece. Do the same if you are only cutting one piece.Good luck with it Dustin.
Rob Roy.

countryscroller

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 03:22:16 pm »
Thanks for the tip Rob

rob roy

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 06:46:43 pm »
No problem Dustin, we are all here to help in any way we can. Glad the info was of use to you.
Rob Roy.

Offline dirob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 03:18:34 am »
Hi rob roy I just purchased a milescraft design kit and it comes supplied with inlay bits and patterns. the kit was the 1207 kit great buy if you have a router
R F R

Dean A

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 01:29:15 pm »
I too was interested in Marquetry. Some of those guys that do that are definitely artists. I liked that link you posted too. I added it to my bookmarks. Keep us posted on the kit and dvd you purchased. Look forward to watching your video on this subject.

Becky

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 10:26:34 pm »
I bit the bullet and ordered a couple of DVDs from Jane Burke.  Her method - what I know of it - utilizes an x-acto knife rather than the scroll saw.  But my whole point in looking was that it is too cold out in the shop so this should work for me.  Assuming I can do it anyway, lol.  It'll be fun to try anyway.  I also went to Woodcraft and picked up their wood identification set of veneers.  I figured that was a relatively inexpensive way to get a variety of veneer woods to work with right off the bat. 

I'm expecting the DVDs to get here on Friday.  I'm really looking forward to trying this.  I've been looking around the web and I am not sure what amazes me more - the work people do or the amount they charge for doing it!  Little boxes for over $300 and pictures for $2,000 to $3,000 or more!  I'm not in this for the money but holy cow.  The work is really amazing though.

countryscroller

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 06:21:14 am »
Yes I see your point about the cold out in the workshop. I watched a video on youtube of Paul Schurch and he made a little jewelry box for $3,000! By the way I ordered the DVD's and a starter kit on his website. When I get it and work with it a bit, I will post a video. Good luck with your work, post stuff when you finish something.

Becky

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 08:02:56 pm »
I figured we could compare notes and results.  From what I have been reading, there are a lot of different ways to approach marquetry.  It looks like a lot of "first projects" are simples leaves so maybe it won't take me too long to produce something halfway presentable (knocking wood).  I can't do a video but I can post a picture.

I found a supply source that might interest you.  Their veneers are 3 mm thick which, at nearly 1/8", would probably be too thick for the x-acto knife process but might work just fine on the scroll saw.  They have a lot of different woods in smallish quantities and a pretty large number of kits.  Anyway, if interested, check out http://www.marquetryworld.com/ .

countryscroller

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 08:23:33 pm »
Ok that sounds good. Once I get the chance to work with it a bit and produce some projects, I may decide if scrolling it or x-acto knife is the way I want to go. Either way I just love the look of some piece people produce. Thanks for the link, I made me a bookmark so I may refer to that later on when I get some practice with it and maybe try thicker veneer. The thickness that Paul Schurch teaches is with thin stuff, like 1/42" thick. I ordered my DVD's and the starter kit, so it should be here in about a week. I will keep you posted on my experience with it. Thanks.

Becky

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 10:25:27 pm »
OK, this is harder than it looks on the DVD!  LOL, of course it is.  The woman in the DVDhas been doing it for years.  Little by little I am having some better luck (though nothing worthy of posting as of yet).  The hard part is getting the exact fit.  In the craft knife method, you cut the hole and then the piece that goes into the hole.  Mine tend to be too big in some places and too small in others. 

But I do have moments when it goes pretty well.  They are just still too widely separated.   ;)  On the other hand, I have only been trying for four days.  That's a bit early to expect mastery - or even basic competence.  I'll keep it up.  I am stubborn if nothing else.  And the little successes are motivating.  I did pick up some less expensive domestic veneer sheets in order to save my sample pack of exotics for when I will have more faith in my ability to use them well.

SMF

Teknoromi