Author Topic: Using Packing Tape.... :+}  (Read 7407 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
Using Packing Tape.... :+}
« on: October 29, 2012, 06:00:25 pm »
I know....I Know....  A Lot of you wrap clear packing tape all around your cutting blanks.  I did it ONE TIME and did not like having to peel that clear sticky tape off
the back side of the last blank.  I can understand the tape some what Lubricates
the blade as it cuts.  I know dgman to each his own.  LOL  Beat Yas.... 

Could I see a vote of who uses this method and who don't?

PROS N CONS are ALWAYS wELCOME....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

IBMer

Re: Using Packing Tape.... :+}
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 06:20:31 pm »
I use it as well..  Another down-fall is that certain woods that make very fine sawdust can get under the tape and cover your pattern.  For example, I was cutting African Paduka and the fine red sawdust actually ended up between my pattern and the box tape.    Don't ask me how, but it found it's way in there, and the bright red dust made it impossible for me to follow the detailed template.

Just to clarify, I use Blue Painter's tape on the Wood, then spray the pattern with positionable tacky spray.   I top that off with the Clear Packing tape.   Mine comes off very easy, but I've had a few instances where very fine sawdust got under my clear packing tape, making it hard to see the pattern.   I'm guessing that the saw blade lifts the tape just a fraction of an inch and allows fine sawdust to become trapped under the tape.

My GF usually volunteers to help remove my tape and patterns as I cut each piece.  She has nails and can deal with the peeling part of the projects ;-)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 08:12:24 pm by IBMer »

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 06:24:12 pm »
I use it, but only on top. Blue painters tape, pattern, clear packing tape. Peels right up with the blue tape.
Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 06:34:06 pm »
I use the clear packing tape. tape on the board, pattern on top of the tape. No problems with dust under the tape. If the piece has som really small pieces I will use blue tape. I put the pattern on top because the glare from the tape makes it very difficult for me to see the pattern lines. I do not like to use mineral spirits due to the lingering odor.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 06:35:06 pm »
i use it when stack cutting i put it between the painters tape and the pattern because i find i get to much glare from it when its on top of the pattern.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

countryscroller

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 07:38:46 pm »
I use it only on the top. For stack cutting I sometimes drive a couple of nail in the waste area of the wood you are cutting to keep the pieces together. I am stack cutting ornaments right now and I am having the same problem with the back side of the work only because I am too lazy to drive some nails in.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 10:24:37 pm »
Wood, blue or green tape, pattern and then packing tape ONLY on top and it works for me!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

tundraguy

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 10:31:30 pm »
Wood, blue tape, patteren, tape...works great for me....might try to put tape between
patteren and blue tape for glare.....

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 10:44:52 pm »
Hey Danny, There is a solution to every problem! I don't like using blue painters tape because it is time consuming to remove the tape from around small openings on the work piece. Instead, I apply the clear packing tape over the pattern. Notice I didn't say wrap? I apply over the pattern, then using a plastic putty knife I "burnish" the tape to make sure there are no air bubbles and to make sure the tape is tight to the pattern. That way sawdust does not get in between the pattern and tape. There are times when I want tape on the bottom for added lubrication. I will apply a blank sheet of paper to the bottom, then apply tape to that. After cutting I use a heat gun to loosen the pattern from the wood.
As I always say, What works for me, may not always work for you!

P.S. I don't have a problem with glare from the tape as I have florescent lights on either side of my saw.
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 10:47:45 pm »
Want to get rid of the glare?
Go to Walgreen's and get a pair of cheap POLARIZED sunglasses!
During the warm weather i sit in the direct sunlight at the end of my garage and this works wonders for me!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SheGold

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 03:06:20 am »
I use it... Sheila

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 06:33:13 am »
Well it looks like most all feel that putting the clear packing tape at least over the top of the pattern is must.  I have not had any problem with the pattern lifting when I use
Permanent Spray glue to the bottom of pattern and also top of Blue painters tape.  And Yes we all have our own proven methods.  I don't use Clear Packing tape.  Well this be my Method.  Thanks to All....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 06:54:05 am »
I only use it on wood that tends to burn.  If I am cutting pine or poplar, I don't use any tape - just pattern to wood.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 08:20:52 am »
I wrap the project in painter tape first, then apply the pattern on top with glue and then an other wrap with clear packing tape.
my problem is also sawdust on top if I didn't apply the clear tape nice and smooth.
but that's just paying More attention when applying the tape.
my biggest problem is the bottom.
there are alway little bumps where the hole is coming trough.
this is from some fuzzie/splinter from drilling.
tried slow and higher drill speed, but no results there.
and then while sawing the sawdust will make the little bumps just a little bigger because it's getting between wood and tape.
due to the bumps my work wants to sloop/bevel and when cutting on close parts it's getting wrong.....

ideas welcome ;)
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline WisScroller

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 09:23:16 am »
Wood - Blue Tape - Patteren - Packing Tape This Works for Me Also..

SMF

Teknoromi