Author Topic: Set Screws  (Read 1673 times)

Offline hayu

• View Profile
Set Screws
« on: August 17, 2018, 08:54:30 pm »
I have been trying to find set screws that have that blue thread tape. I see them in the illustration set screws have it on them and when I get them they don't. I was told by ereplacement to get Locktite thread goop that's in a tube. Has anyone tried this??

Offline justlarry

• View Profile
Re: Set Screws
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 10:04:20 pm »
What you are seeing on the screws is blue Loctite or another brand of thread lock.  It is a liquid, somewhat like a glue, that is put on the threads before the screw is installed.  Install wet and when dry the screw is held in place.  Do not get the red Loctite because it will lock the screw in so tight you might need to use heat to get it to release. 

Larry

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 04:07:25 am »
I have used the blue Loctite on the left hand set screw on the bottom as it was moving.  I have an EX-21.

When my machine was about a year old General told me not to do and sent me new blade holders.  It still moved - added Loctite and I have not replaced in 7 years.

Offline hayu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 06:55:00 am »
Thank You ;D ;D

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 04:52:48 pm »
I have used the blue loctite for several years on my set screws on EX21 and has saved a lot of adjusting time. I do, however, replace both top and bottom set screws and thumb screws ends about every two years so I do not have to put too apply too much pressure. This will keep the thumb screws from wearing so much.

Offline donrecardo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 05:20:20 pm »
A bit of the wifes nail varnish will work just as well and if you use
clear coloured you cant even see it

Don

SMF

Teknoromi