Author Topic: New Member - David Giles  (Read 735 times)

Offline Zoot Fenster

• View Profile
New Member - David Giles
« on: December 06, 2020, 01:23:05 pm »
Greetings from the Texas Hill Country where it is just getting cool enough to go camping. I have been woodworking for some years, mostly tables, dressers, nightstands, bookcases, ie furniture.  Intarsia has always fascinated me, so I sold the 19" bandsaw and added the Pegas bandsaw and scroll saw.  After cutting trial letters for 40 hours, it was time to tackle a real project. The Kathy Wise book, Intarsia for Beginners, is my learning manual.  I have completed all of the beginning projects and was about to begin the horse when LOML handed me a light house pattern that she wanted for a Christmas present.  80 pieces, 16x22.  This is either a great skill building exercise or a significant error in judgment.  All pieces are cut.  Sanding and assembly begin this afternoon.
Tips, tricks, suggestions and work methods are avidly read in order to improve my skills.  Thanks in advance to all that share their knowledge.
They told me anybody could do it, but I showed them.

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
Re: New Member - David Giles
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 07:52:12 pm »
Greetings!
Since you state that all pieces are cut, this piece of advice may be too little, too late but, when I cut a piece for intarsia, instead of
cutting all the pieces, I cut one piece and use the edge that butts against the next piece to re-draw that line in case I did not cut
the pattern line perfectly.
For assembly, I like to edge glue the pieces on a sheet of wax paper. That gives a little time to slide the pieces around to make sure
I am aligning them properly so all pieces fit as snugly as they did in the dry assembly.
Please show us some of your projects. We do love pictures!
God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline KCSteve

• View Profile
Re: New Member - David Giles
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 09:32:53 am »
SpiritHorse - those are some good tips!

I don't know if I'll ever do any Intarsia, but I saved those off just in case.

Thanks!

KCSteve :->

SMF

Teknoromi