Author Topic: Remember my post concerning ....Hornet Nest.... ?  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
Remember my post concerning ....Hornet Nest.... ?
« on: December 06, 2014, 01:52:02 pm »
Well for all that remember.  It hung around 30 foot up in the Maple tree during the summer until LAST WEEK.
    Never did see any more than a hand full of them flying around.  Never bothered anything. 
Someone here said that when it got COLD they would blast the top off when they departed.
   Well that DID HAPPEN.  Found it laying on the ground.  Actually I call it the TOP, but hanging there it would be bottom.
Anyway the other part dropped.  Here is pictures of it at present.    Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
Re: Remember my post concerning ....Hornet Nest.... ?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 05:36:11 pm »
Danny,

Sure would make a nice conversation on a fireplace mantle.  I'm sure the Lovely Mrs. would agree.   ;D   :D

jerry

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 09:21:46 pm »
It sure would.  No Mantle.  Wanted to sort of preserve the 2 halfs, but last night was a Storm and where I had them the wind blew them into the yard and with the hard downpour they kind of lost their shape....SO....  Decided to trash them.  .Was a experience to have the Hive.  Danny

Danny  :+}

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 12:12:20 am »
Glad no one was hurt by this nest.  They are a real ( pardon the pun ) pain when encountered while logging.  You ought to see a nest that contains 80 thousand bees or more... it is huge.  Anyway loved the pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

pddesertrat

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 10:55:13 am »
Very interesting.  I did not know about the blasting the top off.  I remember when I was into making pens, I saw where one person toke a piece of hornets nest, cast it in Aluminite and made a pen.  Not pretty but a great conversation piece.

SMF

Teknoromi