Author Topic: Scrolling and Finishing.... :+}  (Read 2512 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
Scrolling and Finishing.... :+}
« on: August 28, 2014, 09:00:53 pm »
Been a while since I last posted a Thought, but have been wondering about HOW it is that you all deal with this.
Long story short....I really think the end result of a project is to have a Shine to the wood.  To me meaning Lacquer or Poly or even tried the cheap store bought sprays.  The COST of what I call The Better here is $8 plus tax.  Doesn't take long before each can is finished.  I always give each piece 3 to 4 coats.  Always comes out looking Great.  Has anyone messed with a concoction mixture like our famous 50/50 spirits n BLO that could have a mixture of POLY and something.   Dip in in and let dry with a bit of wiping and have a built in so so shine? 

Anyway I would Love to read others stories about this subject..................Thanks...............................Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
Re: Scrolling and Finishing.... :+}
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 09:54:28 pm »
Danny,
I have used a concoction that I call "Rude and Crude". It consists of  1/4 mineral spirits, 1/4 BLO and 1/2 polyurethane all mixed together in a pint jar for the initial coat. I DO NOT soak the project, I wipe it on with a rag or paper towel. (or even a foam brush)
The BLO pops the grain, the poly seals the pores in the wood and the mineral spirits helps the drying time which is fairly fast (an hour or less).
This WILL NOT give you a shinny or glossy finish but it is a very good base coat.
Then I sand down the "fuzzes" with brown paper sack to get a really smooth finish. After that you can spray on (or use the wipe on type) a coat or two of polyurethane of the gloss of your choice.

I have given the recipe for this concoction before but, I must repeat.....To keep it fresh and not dry out, remember to wrap the threads of the jar with Teflon pipe sealer tape to keep it from sticking shut. Believe me, if you "glue" a jar lid on with poly you will NEVER get the lid off again! B.T.D T. and have the T shirt! (and three SEALED jars of Rude and Crude to prove that)  ;D ;D That is another reason that I don't recommend dipping or soaking the project, it drys fairly fast (Mineral spirits remember, is a solvent and evaporates quickly) and your mixture is useless when it gets as thick as honey. I guess you could add more mineral spirits to thin it out again.  I've never tried that out though.  :)

Rog   
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Kragax

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 08:27:56 am »
Not to sound the fool, but what is BLO ?

Offline Ray

• View Profile
    • Slideshow of a few of my completed projects
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 09:06:07 am »
Not to sound the fool, but what is BLO ?

Boiled Linseed Oil

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 09:50:03 am »
Danny - I go more for feel than shine. I like to have people handle my pieces and to develop some patina.
On the simplest pieces I use Howard's Feed-N-Wax.
One step up, I use 1/2 BLO + 1/2 mineral spirits, put it on heavy, and let it dry over night. It is a dull finish and will show wear (patina) as people handle it.
The fanciest finish I use is spay lacquer, wait 1/2 hour, spray another layer of lacquer, wait an hour or more, then use steel wool to rub in some paste wax. When done, it looks and FEELS like satin.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 11:32:32 am »
Thank Ya's for the input.  Roger your concoction sounds Good, so I shall mix me up a small batch.
Guess you can't really beat the 50/50 mixture of BLO n Spirits.  Danish oils work good.

Yea Ray I agree with its all about the Smooth Feel of the Piece that makes it Great.  Lacquer is to
me the Good....  Just wished the cost wasn't so high. 

The what I call cheapie gloss sprays work, but can notice just not good enough.                    Danny  :+}

Graywolf

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 03:28:10 pm »
Danny,
I have used a concoction that I call "Rude and Crude". It consists of  1/4 mineral spirits, 1/4 BLO and 1/2 polyurethane all mixed together in a pint jar for the initial coat. I DO NOT soak the project, I wipe it on with a rag or paper towel. (or even a foam brush)
The BLO pops the grain, the poly seals the pores in the wood and the mineral spirits helps the drying time which is fairly fast (an hour or less).
This WILL NOT give you a shinny or glossy finish but it is a very good base coat.
Then I sand down the "fuzzes" with brown paper sack to get a really smooth finish. After that you can spray on (or use the wipe on type) a coat or two of polyurethane of the gloss of your choice.

I have given the recipe for this concoction before but, I must repeat.....To keep it fresh and not dry out, remember to wrap the threads of the jar with Teflon pipe sealer tape to keep it from sticking shut. Believe me, if you "glue" a jar lid on with poly you will NEVER get the lid off again! B.T.D T. and have the T shirt! (and three SEALED jars of Rude and Crude to prove that)  ;D ;D That is another reason that I don't recommend dipping or soaking the project, it drys fairly fast (Mineral spirits remember, is a solvent and evaporates quickly) and your mixture is useless when it gets as thick as honey. I guess you could add more mineral spirits to thin it out again.  I've never tried that out though.  :)

Rog   

I have a jar of this mixed up and ready to go. I am going to try to spray it with my sprayer hooked to my compressor. I would like to get several projects finished before I do It. I've used spray cans a lot, but not the compressor. I have tried the dipping method before and I don't like it, too messy.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 05:21:39 pm »
Hello Mister Graywolf....  Pleasure to make your acquaintance.   Well I see this might be your first attempt at using a Sprayer attachment to the Compressor.  I gave this a go years ago and I had a Terrible time overall.  First the ventilation thing. 
Then the cleaning up of the nozzle attachment.  Cleaning out the Container holding the mix.....NOW....
                  Seems like Rog was referring to applying a Sealer before Varnishing of which he gave his mixture. 
I like it, but have not gave it a try yet.  Gonna mix it up as he said and pour it in a Fairly shallow plastic container. 
Big enough container for say....  a Dozen 4x4 ornaments.  Gonna let um soak for 5 minutes or so.  Take um out and
onto a waiting towel (junk type)  Let um air out for 5 mins. and the Pat Dry best I can.  Maybe blow out excess liquid.
            ANYWAY....  Still think its awfully costly to use the SPRAY CANS OF their product to make your craft have a
Lil Shine.  Gotta be a BETTER and CHEAPER WAY.            Thanks for reading.......................Danny  :+} 

ChuckD

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 09:09:58 pm »
I am afraid I may be a little different.  I don't care for shiny scroll work.. Almost all I do I use a simple 50/50 mix of BLO and MS.  If it is portrait cut I will frame it and put it behind glass, nonshine glass.  If it goes outside after the mix (It really brings out the grain) then I will use a clear satin spar varnish on it for protection.  This is a big project that my Dear Bride insisted we use gloss varnish on and it good fairly nice.     

SMF

Teknoromi