Author Topic: Top feed hole finder....  (Read 1031 times)

Offline apopj

• I support the THIN BLUE LINE
    • View Profile
Top feed hole finder....
« on: April 23, 2018, 10:41:12 am »
Hello one and all...

After watching Steve's really neat laser hole finder, I started to wonder if perhaps I needed one, since I am a total top feeder.

After a moments thought, it came to me that I never seem to have a problem finding the blade hole in my Excalibur, not matter how small my pilot hole in the workpiece is. I thought about it, and realized that the hole in the saw table is directly under the top clamp. If the blade is in the clamp and vertical, all you have to do is let the arm down and the blade will point to the hole. I went to the saw and tried it, and sure enough, every time I lowered the blade, it went right into the table hole. Now, once in a while the blade will not be vertical, but it is a simple matter to look at the blade, envision where vertical would be, and guide the blade to that position.

Since seeing his video, I have made a dozen or more of his great patterns, and as long as I have the blade vertical, or can visualize vertical, the blade goes right where it's supposed to be, no problem. I think the hole finder may have a place if you have problem even seeing the hole or some other distraction, but if your blade is mounted in the top clamp in a vertical position, there should never be a problem finding the hole in the table.

Just my thoughts, and Steve, great job on the videos, patterns and information. You are a leader in keeping the scroll saw hobby growing. Thank you...

Dr. Jeff Popa
Cut once...period

Offline Mike97

• View Profile
Re: Top feed hole finder....
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 04:13:30 pm »
Can you tell me when Steve posted his laser hole finder?  My searches don't reveal anything about it.

Thanks

SMF

Teknoromi