Author Topic: coloring  (Read 3913 times)

Dav

coloring
« on: November 17, 2010, 03:21:02 pm »
can someone explain the use of food coloring for coloring wood. Does it need to be mixed with something or what? It only comes in smaLL BOTTLES THAT IS WHY i'M ASKING PLUS IT"S KID SAVE.DAV

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
Re: coloring
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 03:58:40 pm »
After the puzzle has been cut, sanded and cleaned soak in half bottle of the food color and enough water to cover the pieces and 15 to 25 minutes later, remove and let dry.
Some times the wood swells a bit but normally you just work the pieces and they come right.

Not good for MDF

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

ups34

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 04:42:57 pm »
Food Coloring did not work good for me. 1/2 bottle and 1/2 cut water. Wood was hardly stained. Think I just read it needs 2 bottles and 1/2 cup.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 07:23:47 pm »
I mix a whole bottle into about 1 cup of water.  that's why I only do small stuff with it.  It is so cheap this time of year that I stock up.  Anyone try just brushing it on??
I'm from North Dakota

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 09:07:48 pm »
Do I remember reading about using the 'dye' that is used to color cake icing (fondant) and alcohol?

I have a small bottle of the red dye but I don't remember where I put the information.

Seems to me regular food coloring and water would really 'pop' the grain on some woods.

What about 'sanding sealer' applied first?

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 11:43:39 pm »
It doesn't raise the fibers on baltic Birch enought to notice.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 09:29:38 am »
I use the dye intended for coloring cake icing.  I mix it with rubbing alcohol so it doesn't raise the grain and dilute to the desired intensity.  It also dries faster than water based.  I used it this time last year on a batch of Steve's bubble gum machines, and none have faded at all so far.  You can get it at stores like Michaels and it isn't at all expensive to use.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 10:57:25 am »
Thanks Bill....

I remembered the alcohol but not the 'mix to desired...'

I'm making several of the 'mittens' for the show and will try that tomorrow. Some red, some 'white'.

I use "91% Isopropyl" all the time as a 'cleaning agent. Does a great job for removing oil, grease and also dries quickly. Cheap at the local 'drug emporium'.

~~~GB~~~
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 11:00:47 am by GrayBeard »
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 02:03:02 am »
Hey GB I would be interested in your opinion of the dye after you try it.  I don't do a lot with it, but I've been happy with what I have done.  It's readily available, cheap and easy to use, yet not many people seem to go that way.  How did you like it?

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 11:53:22 am »
Bill, I may have picked up the wrong thing! The stuff I got is almost 'paste' like and will not dissolve in alcohol at all.
Going to make another attempt later this week after a stop at a 'cake decorating' place and check out their supplies.
So far used the regular food color and mixed half and half with 'alky' and it weems to do what I want. I just want a 'red tint' on some Aspen I'm using for those 'mittens'.

~~~GB~~~

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 02:32:26 pm »
you mixed regular food coloring with alcohol?  How did that go?  Using isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol?
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 03:10:47 pm »
I used 1 little bottle and 1 cup of water to dye some ornaments. I put the pieces in for 10 minuets or so.
I also brushing/blobbing some on to get a "tie-dyed" effect. It worked out pretty well, I'll try to get some photos this afternoon.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 05:47:56 pm »
looking forward to some pics....Thank YOU!
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 06:16:40 pm »
When I used the icing dye it was a little difficult to dissolve, but it did with some stirring, and then it was easy to use.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 06:45:07 pm »
I posted a bunch of dyed ornaments to my Picasa Album
http://picasaweb.google.com/KNWoodworking/DyedOrnaments#

I did several that are multi-colored/tie-dyed. To get the look I used a paint brush to blob the colored water on to the ornament, then a different color in a different area. The colors run together a bit, and sometimes get a bit muddy, but look cool.
http://picasaweb.google.com/KNWoodworking/DyedOrnaments#5542150441348093970

The rest of the ornaments are solid colors.
http://picasaweb.google.com/KNWoodworking/DyedOrnaments#5542150332070539778
http://picasaweb.google.com/KNWoodworking/DyedOrnaments#5542150398839166210

MrsN

SMF

Teknoromi