Author Topic: Sand box for saw??  (Read 2024 times)

SonOfMartin

Sand box for saw??
« on: January 30, 2011, 02:32:29 pm »
I've read several references to building a sand box for the scroll saw.  Can someone post a photo or description as to what that is?  Size, how heavy, what exactly it does, etc?

I can't seem to understand how it will remove vibration because isn't it a box and the wood around the sand still transmits vibrations?

I just don't get it.....

Mainewoods

Re: Sand box for saw??
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 02:56:08 pm »
I'm taking a WAG (wild ass guess) here, because I really don't know, but I'm thinking it's a box, large enough to hold the saw, or the stand it's on, filled with sand.  That way, the vibration from the saw would be absorbed by the sand.  I'm actually planning on getting some sand tubes (the kind you get at home centers to provide extra weight in your car on slippery roads) and draping them over the cross members of my stand, because I've noticed that if I place a foot on a cross member and apply a little pressure, it does reduce the vibration a bit.  I've got the Porter Cable saw, so although it's supposed to be pretty good for an entry level saw, it does vibrate.

MY2Cs

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 04:49:13 pm »
Mainewoods, You win the prize!
Dan In Southern California

Sawdust Dave

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 05:11:12 pm »
I used two pieces of carpet under the legs and a piece of plywood over the cross members then weighed it down with a cinder block and it worked fine. Now I have it mounted on a slanted top bench I made.

boxmaker

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 05:38:50 pm »
I built a sand box for my old Delta saw, which I no longer have. Please remember I did this many years ago, so I am going from memory. I will try to explain, basically you build a rectangle box with 4 sides and a bottom 3/4" plywood glued and screwed. The box has to be big enough to be able to set your saw inside of it. Once the box is built, set your saw inside of it. and trace your bolt patterns for your saw on the box bottom, drill holes in the bottom for some carriage bolts that you will need, the bolt length will be determined by the height of your box plus the thickness of your scroll saw. Next cut a platform that will fit just inside the box, set the platform in the box. now drill from the bottom of the box, so the bolt holes all line up (bottom and top). Take the platform out of the box and place your carriage bolts through the holes  from the bottom up and fill the box with sand so the top platform just sits a little above flush. Now place the platform inside the box on top of the sand and line up your bolt holes, now place your saw on the platform and attach a washer and a nut and tighten down, this should help with some of your vibration, the sand will absorb it. I set my box on a bench where I wanted to scroll. remember you may want to find where you want it before you fill it with sand because it will be heavy. Sorry this was long, I hope I explained it. It seemed to help me.

Mark

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 05:49:08 pm »
Would putting an anti-fatigue mat under the saw help?

grampa

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 06:17:36 pm »
Would putting an anti-fatigue mat under the saw help?
He wants to stop it vibrating not falling asleep  ;D ;D ;D sorry could not resist....Paul ;D

marmoh

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 06:58:37 pm »
Julief....that is what I did and it seems to be doing ok.....

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 06:37:32 am »
Ha, Ha, Grandpa Ed.  I just thought it might reduce the vibration.  My saw doesn't have that problem but I was thinking of getting one just because I stand there so much.

SonOfMartin

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 10:09:44 am »
Thanks for the ideas.  Mark, in building the box, are you talking 1 or 2 inches of sand or more?

tux_linux

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 11:05:02 am »
He is probably talking about a lot more sand!

I use 3 paving stones ? 25kg (~ 165lbs.) to eliminate vibrations.

@ Mark
Does the sand, due to being a "floating medium", have more influences than just the factor of weight?

regards
Torsten

cameronj

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 12:23:14 pm »
My work table is made of 2 X 4 lumber bolted together like a butcherblock table.  So, to reduce the vibration, I just screwed my Dewalt saw to the table.  That has worked fine for years.
Jim

boxmaker

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 03:08:02 pm »
sonofMartin, there is more than a couple inches of sand, mine weighed well over 100 pounds. My box was about four or five inches high and the length and width of your saw. Torsten, in my opinion more mass will always help reduce vibration, that is why a lot of people just add mass to there stands, I didn't have a stand, but I had a solid bench on a concrete floor, and yes your description of a "floating medium" is perfect. The top is actually sitting on the sand, and the sand will absorb the vibration.

Mark

tux_linux

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 02:57:16 am »
so it seems like this is worth a try...

I could modify my stand to bring the weight up to the top. Thought about that in the past. Sand is much simpler to integrate in any form.

regards
Torsten

malc

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 04:56:23 am »
My saw sits on an old computer desk with a bit of carpet between the saw and desk, no real problems.
Malc

SMF

Teknoromi