Author Topic: Using spiral blades  (Read 4099 times)

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
Using spiral blades
« on: July 18, 2015, 10:57:25 pm »
Decided to try something new tonight, and learned just how much I don't know.  Tried spiral blades for the first time on a trial section of The Last Supper.  The pattern is very intricate, and full size it's just shy of 20 inches, so pretty much would need to use spiral blades.

I knew starting out that these things take time and practice to master, but my sample looks more like the last massacre than the last supper!  Using 1/4" cherry, with a 2/0 Flying Dutchman spiral reverse, and it's cutting OK, but sure is going to take some re-learning to pull this one off.  Nothing quite as humbling when you think you're a pretty fair scroller, than to turn out a piece of work this ugly.  Well, there's always tomorrow, and I can't help but improve!
Nancy
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline seadog852

• View Profile
Re: Using spiral blades
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 07:01:34 am »
when i first started using spirals i felt the same way. Just a slow go till you get how the movement should be. Around the thin parts its slow for me no matter how long i've been scrolling. One little hiccup could change the picture. :) Have fun!

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 08:25:22 am »
Take a scrap and just write your name.  Your name is familiar and feels right.  Do it again and again.  You will get the feel for them.

ChuckD

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 11:55:04 pm »
They take practice, and lots of it.  Going into a hard pattern without practice is asking for trouble.  But once you start using them they become a great tool in your box..  Good Luck

Offline herrwood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 11:05:07 am »
I found that spiral blades seem to work better at slower speeds .

Spartan scroller

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 11:59:53 am »
I've tried several times to master spiral blades and they still master me! They wander all over the place and leave jagged edges on the cut lines instead of nice smooth ones that I get with the straight blades. Charlie Dearing your are a steely eyed scroll sawin' man, but I don't see that I will ever get the hang of these blades. To those of you who do...more power to ya.

Regards,
Terry

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 12:57:52 pm »
Thanks for the comments and suggestions.  As you noticed, I said I was trying this on a part of the pattern, not the whole thing, and not on good wood, just a scrap of cherry.   It will take a lot of practice before I attempt the real thing.  I had a nice piece of birds eye maple picked out, but might have to reconsider that, as I'm afraid Jesus and His disciples might look they all have a really bad skin condition!

I did notice the jagged edges that Terry referred to and don't much like those.  It's a pattern I've had for years, and it might be years more before it's done.  I'm sure I can find much easier things to work on and "perfect" my technique.  Always more to learn.
Nancy

ChuckD

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 02:15:35 pm »
The jagged edges you are talking about are part of the spiral blades use.  Also the no sharp corners are part of it.  If you have a lot of spaces like the leaves of trees or the edge of water or clouds, etc, they don't need to be smooth and look better rough and all these little spots are cut more quickly with spiral blades.  I very seldom cut an entire pattern with just spirals.  Like I said, just another tool.  Also I never use spiral for intarsia except for vein lines and only then after I cut the line with a flat blade.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 02:17:50 pm by ChuckD »

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 02:33:44 am »
Miss Nancy, sounds like you've been tossed a hat full of suggestions. If ya don't mind, I'd like to add my .02/worth. :) I don't consider myself an expert by no means, but, after a day or two of playin w/all kinds of blades, I figure out what works for me. ;) I keep close to 30 different size blades & types on hand. I had some 2/0 spirals that I'd had quite awhile, & was getting a project ready that was going to entail the use of LOTS OF SPIRAL BLADE WORK :o!! At the time, I hadn't used a spiral enough to say I had experience w/them. So, being the simple minded country boy I am ;), I drew some lines on a few scrap pieces & started in. Broke blades til I was about to the point of using language us old truck drivers only use in traffic, & w/dispatchers! >:( So, I dropped the speed to the bottom end of the VS, backed the tension off just a little bit, & started over. Bingo! It worked! :)As I got a little better w/them, I just kept adding speed & tension. Now I can do most anything I need a spiral to do. My apologies for the length of the explanation, but, it worked for me. Ya might try it. But they take ALOT of practice!! Enjoy & good luck!
Sawdust703(Brad)

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 03:48:05 am »
Hi Sawdust, thanks for the suggestions on those pesky blades, but you'd better watch your step...my son is 6' 3" tall, and  a dispatcher for a big trucking company!

My practice with the spiral blades is going to have to wait a bit longer, 'cause clients are keeping me busy with my regular job of making ornaments and wine glass caddies.  Life is good.
Nancy

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 06:19:36 am »
Your pattern for THE LAST SUPPER sounds like the one I have cut a couple times.  Yes its LONGER than
the reach of my scroll saw.  The Designer suggested cutting the blank to make two pieces and afterwards
gluing them back together.  I did this and one would have to HUNT to see the glue line.  Just my 2 cents....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 11:44:30 am »
Thanks Danny,

I had thought of that, but didn't know if the line would show.  Guess the pattern is so intricate that I could get away with it.  I'm doing that very thing with an enlarged...REALLY enlarged...top of a picture frame.  It's going to be cut in several pieces 'cause it's 70" wide!  Making 2 of them, one for over the front door between 2 columns, and another over the door to the upper porch.  Should be great.
Nancy

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 02:29:19 am »
I appreciate the warning, Miss Nancy. ;) But after 35 years of it, I was forced to turn in my keys. My health was no longer fit enough to suit the laws' specifications. I reckon that's why I spend my time woodworking now. It keeps my mind & hands busy. :)  You mentioned you were working on a picture frame. Ya don't mind me asking, what are doing with it? Cutting fretwork in it, or?? I've got a project I just finished that I'm trying to come up with a frame design for. Its a combine cutting wheat. And its cut in 1/2" oak. My client wants a darker wood frame, but I'm pretty limited to what darker woods I can get ahold of. Any ideas? Thanks.
Sawdust703(Brad)

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 03:15:25 pm »
Hi Sawdust,

My son mentioned that there may be quite a shortage of truck drivers because of health concerns.  Something about a new list of meds that can't be used, and they are very common ones that lots of people use.

As to the picture frame door topper, it's quite elaborate with lots of fretwork.  I made one in mahogany for one of my friends.  She had some mahogany pocket doors into a small office off the living room, and wanted something about the doors.  Turned out really nicely.  Mine will be made of cedar and painted, since they'll be outside.

For your friend who wants a darker frame, oak takes stain pretty well, but I'd use a wood conditioner first, just to be sure it takes evenly.  Nice of you to make it for him.
Nancy

Offline RangerJay

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2015, 07:13:13 pm »
I'm no expert here but have come to enjoy using spiral blades - having said that - the learning curve did have it's frustrations.

Try a couple of different spirals - I know a lot of folks like the 2/0 but for me the FD #1 Spiral with Flat Ends has pretty much become my go-to blade for almost all fine fretwork - I do use a 2/0 from time to time but rarely - the 2/0 doesn't seem quite as obedient .....

At least in my own experience the #1 likes a modest speed and slow feed. When I use a 2/0 it seems to like higher tension, faster speed and even slower feed. Spirals don't like a firm hand on the work - get used to using a softer hand that gently guides rather than steers - don't even think about pushing. Clean-up of the cut (if needed) works best on high speed with a gentle touch.  You aren't going to get the polished cut of a flat blade but you should be able to look forward to a smooth edge - not jagged.

The only other thing that can think of that might help would be your blade set-up - if you have a lot of front to back movement in your blade then you might try minimizing it as much as your machine will allow.

Good luck on a great pattern!

Jay

SMF

Teknoromi