Author Topic: Blade for 3/4 pine  (Read 2962 times)

Offline kruzer

• View Profile
Blade for 3/4 pine
« on: July 19, 2015, 03:50:11 pm »
What kind of blade for would be best for 3/4 pine?

Offline jimr1cos

• View Profile
Re: Blade for 3/4 pine
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 05:26:09 pm »
For 3/4 pine and poplar I use FD #5 SR or #5 UR
Jim

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 08:46:38 am »
I have been cutting some 3/4" pine and using a #3 FDUR but a #5 will work fine also for less intricate cuts.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 11:20:35 am »
FD-UR #1 will cut 3/4" pine very well.  Intricate cuts it will work the best.  ur#3 &5 will work great.  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 03:52:12 pm »
What kind of blade for would be best for 3/4 pine?

The blade size depends a lot on how much you are cutting, how fast you want to cut it, and how wide a kerf you wish, also rather you want to have a clean edge or you are just ripping to size.  I work with 3/4 pine a lot and I cut out my shapes with #9 ultra reverse.  For puzzles and things that need a smaller kerf I use a #3 and #5 ultra reverse.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline kruzer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 04:43:37 am »
Thanks. Reason for asking is I recently did the cowboy boot clock found on the pattern page here. I showed it to a friend at my horse barn who runs a large horse club, the New England horseman council. She liked it so much she wanted to include it at the end of the year awards as part of the gifts so she wanted 7 of them. There are some cuts on the boot I though could have been better. Maybe cause of the blade I used. This is the first time I will be making something for somebody for a couple of bucks. I asked $30 for a piece. I'd just like them to be the best I can get them.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 11:08:01 am »
You can blame it on the blades if you want to but, I'll bet that by the third clock you will wonder how come they cut so much better this time. :)
It is just a matter of practice and getting used to the material and the blades that solves most of our problems. :)

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline kruzer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 09:33:58 pm »
You can blame it on the blades if you want to but, I'll bet that by the third clock you will wonder how come they cut so much better this time. :)
It is just a matter of practice and getting used to the material and the blades that solves most of our problems. :)

Rog

True. I was told by a friend who has done wood turning for more years then I've been alive that the easiest one will be the last one.

SMF

Teknoromi