Author Topic: Oak  (Read 1025 times)

Offline WigWag Workshop

• View Profile
Oak
« on: April 21, 2011, 05:01:25 pm »
Good Day Folks!

I am sure this has been asked before however.....  I picked up a few 1/2" thick oak "craft" boards to make some name plaques using Steve's awesome program.  The question I have is, should I use #5 or #7 SR Flying Dutchman blades?  I have the whole assortment of Flying Dutchman Blades, but if I remember correctly, these 2 maybe my best choice.  It's been awhile since, I have been able to be on the saw, due to the cold weather.  We are in the process of purchasing a new home, where I will finally have a dedicated shop in the basement, so I will be able to create projects all year round.

Thanks in advance,

Steven

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Oak
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 05:18:15 pm »
Hey Steven, Good to hear from you, It's been a while. I would start with a #5. For me this would work just fine. If the #5 is cutting to slow for you, then go to the #7. don't forget to post pictures!
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 05:18:58 pm »
I use #5's for 1/2" oak.
The #5 will give you better corners.

Overall a personal preference according to your style.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline WigWag Workshop

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 05:23:15 pm »
Thank you for the replies, I am going to make some "surprise" Amateur Radio Call Sign Plaques, for some friends.  I was planning on finishing them with lemon oil, and spray satin clear.  Hopefully they will turn out nice.  Opinions always welcome.  

dgman - I have been lurkin' had the winter blues, and bummed not being able to rock the saw.  

GB - Always enjoy your posts!

SMF

Teknoromi