Author Topic: Geocache  (Read 1976 times)

Offline WigWag Workshop

• View Profile
Geocache
« on: March 21, 2011, 11:12:45 am »
Made a quick video of our first geocache. Still learning the software, but I think it came out ok.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CknJyKMgAes

Steven

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
Re: Geocache
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 12:09:27 pm »
Nicely produced Steven. That hobby seems to be getting more popular all the time.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 12:53:31 pm »
Never heard of it before - looks like fun.  Great video!

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 02:50:54 pm »
been geocaching for a couple years now and love it cant wait for the weather to get better and go at it again

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

tux_linux

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 03:35:00 pm »
A colleague refers to it as "geek walking" because it's the only way his wife get's him out of the house!

regards
Torsten

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 04:03:33 pm »
Hey Steven, We almost got to see what you look like! I have heard of geocaching, but don't know much about it. Do you add something to the cache when you find it? It looks like you add to the journal. Tell us a little about it!
Dan In Southern California

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 09:21:01 pm »
Good video Steven.  Love the background music!

Karl

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 09:36:25 pm »
It is part of a worldwide game dedicated to GPS (Global Positioning System) users, called Geocaching. The game basically involves a GPS user hiding "treasure" (this container and its contents), and publishing the exact coordinates so other GPS users can come on a "treasure hunt" to find it. The only rules are: if you take something from the cache, you must leave something for the cache, and you must write about your visit in the logbook. Hopefully, the person that hid this container found a good spot that is not easily found by uninterested parties. Sometimes, a good spot turns out to be a bad spot, though.
check out the site
http://www.geocaching.com/

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 09:42:06 pm »
Hi Steven, been doing that a little, still have a bit of a problem with my machine, it doesn't have a setting for my level of technology...but I have found some and it is fun, nice video
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

AnotherSteve

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 08:20:39 am »
I've been Geocaching for about 3 years and it is great fun and gets me out of the house.  I must say, however, that the video of your first find is absolutely outstanding. 

Chachi

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 10:06:46 am »
I never heard about this nor ever knew that it even existed I told a friend about it since he has a GPS and he calls it the Nerds of the world untied in one common goal seems he has been doing it sometime now as well and loves it.

So steve do you leave some scroll work in your finds?

Offline WigWag Workshop

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 08:46:07 pm »
Thanks for the comments all! It's a lot of fun, going out Geocaching. I have not started putting in any scroll stuff yet, as it's been to cold to be in the shop.  I do plan on making a bunch of stuff, so I can put them in the cache.  The video I linked to is just a "trailer", I am working on editing some video footage of our adventures, which I will be posting soon.  I use an "app" that I purchased for my iPhone, which utilizes the built in GPS.  Once you find a cache, you can upload your log to the website, geocaching.com.

Steven

SMF

Teknoromi