Author Topic: Gluing fret work to backer  (Read 10532 times)

thumbs

Gluing fret work to backer
« on: May 03, 2014, 09:00:07 am »
over the years I have never found out how to glue a delicate piece to a backer board with out glue oozing  out at the edges. I don't always catch it until after it is dry scrapping it off isn't always the neatest--any input from anyone would be great--thanks in advance--Richard

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: Gluing fret work to backer
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 09:07:47 am »
I use a small Glu-Bot and it helps a great deal.  Here is the link to one, but you can get them at a variety of places. I also use Gorilla Glue for WOOD because it holds really great.  Although - I think just about any good quality white, clear-drying wood glue will do. :)

http://www.amazon.com/FastCap-Glu-Bot-Glue-Bottle-Ounces/dp/B0006IUW8G

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 09:29:23 am »
Weldbond glue does a good job, and it dries clear, I use mainly titebond 111.  edward

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 11:19:25 am »
I use Titebond Translucent Glue.  Seems to hold well and if you get squeeze out it is clear.

http://www.titebond.com/product.aspx?id=e06720fc-44f9-42b2-8c5c-77e7d85cf624

If clamping is a problem I use a few drop of medium gap filling CA. (Tip picked up from Kathy Wise as that is how she glues up Intarsia)

Don

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 11:48:45 am »
Hi Thumbs. I struggled with the same problem. Through trial and error I now use an artist brush that's no wider than the width of the fretwork, and concentrate on gluing the bottom half of the fretwork and a few key points at the top. The stiffness of the bristles is a factor, and less glue is better than to much.  Cheers, Barry.

kennybruzda

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 12:38:53 pm »
Recently, in the last few days, I have used a small roller and pan. It does the job and everything is covered, I do not know why I did not think of this sooner. No more struggling with the glue bottle and putting too much glue on. It also makes it faster, I stack cut six 1/8" pieces and I can have them all glued up in 15 minutes. It does take a little more glue but I do not mind that.         

ChuckD

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 03:49:25 pm »
Recently, in the last few days, I have used a small roller and pan. It does the job and everything is covered, I do not know why I did not think of this sooner. No more struggling with the glue bottle and putting too much glue on. It also makes it faster, I stack cut six 1/8" pieces and I can have them all glued up in 15 minutes. It does take a little more glue but I do not mind that.  

Wow, that seems to me to be a lot of glue.  I use a toothpick to place very small  amounts of glue (Gorilla glue) at key spots around the back of the fretwork.  After that I place a similar size board over the fretwork and set a weight on the board as a clamp.  You don't need much and as most of my works is framed and glassed it never comes apart.  But I do the same with intarsia without the glass so it works.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 08:13:04 pm by ChuckD »

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 05:39:06 pm »
Richard the other day I wanted to glue the backer on a fret cut and as with you the glue squeeze out is a nightmare, so I thought I wood try the spray glue.
It seems to work so far no problems and no squeeze out.
Just spray the back of the fret NOT the backer.

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 09:58:15 pm »
Richard, use clear drying glue, spread it thin, and let it get tacky then put on the backer. You don't need to use too much clamping pressure as most fret work is not that heavy.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

thumbs

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 06:53:39 am »
thanks for all the replies-- Don & Merlin gave me a couple of good products to try--Shelia I have that same glue bottle and I just remembered that, somewhere in my shop I have extra tips for it. I'll try a smaller tip for it--Thanks again, Richard

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 06:57:40 am »
I really liked this post Richard!  There were a LOT of great ideas that I wouldn't have thought about here.  I love this forum so much because it is always friendly and there are so many things we learn from it.  After you try some of these, check back with us here and let us know what worked best for you. :) 

Have a great Sunday!  Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline John M

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2014, 07:21:41 am »
I usually dab small amounts in key spots. If I can't get a small enough drop from the glue bottle I will put a puddle on a scrap piece and then use a tooth pick to get the amount I want. I then put the item under some dead weight  until dry.

ChuckD

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 02:33:18 pm »
John, that sounds like a good idea

jim stiek

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 08:54:52 pm »
a trick I learned from a friend in K.C. Mo. wax paper spread glue on it as thin as possible with a plastic card an old credit card works well, get it thin as possible then put fret work on it then on backer works well and little to no squeeze out

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 10:40:02 pm »
This has been a challenge for me as well. I tries the spray glue technique but found that after a period of time the pieces would separate. Mostly these days I squeeze a small amount onto some scrap as John previously mentioned. Then I spread it using a sharpened out stir stick. I shape it so that there is a tip that is about 1/16 or less wide. Try to use the least amount of glue as possible. I lay a piece of panel about the same size as the piece on top after the backer and fretwork are mated and then I place small sand bags about 1or 2 pounds each on top of that. After 5 to 10 minutes I check for squeeze out and clean off any before it sets and becomes solid. I replace the bags until the glue is dried. Wow, I talk too much. That is what the kids say too.
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

SMF

Teknoromi