Author Topic: What do you do to make a living  (Read 6836 times)

boxmaker

Re: What do you do to make a living
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 10:33:08 pm »
I am retired. I retired after 30 years at G.M. I worry about my pension sometimes, but I guess G.M. is turning itself around. My Wife bought me a scroll saw when I retired, and I started making boxes.

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 11:28:22 pm »
I am the Postmaster of a small town in SW-VA.  I have been with the Postal Service since 1979.  Prior to that I was in the Navy for four years onboard the USS Saratoga (that is a Ranger Class aircraft carrier "Rightarm") CV-60.  I am eligible to retire (55) and hope to soon spend a lot more time scrolling and perhaps take on a part-time job.  My wife of 31 years and I now spend as much time as we can with our two year old twin grandsons.

Barry   :)

Dan

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 02:51:48 am »
Cherie,

Most of our products are engineered meaning not solid. Thus would not be suitable for scrolling. However we are introducing some solid material in the future.

Thanks for your interest,

Dan

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 03:45:42 am »
A great question to ask I think most of us have all catogries covered, I often think what I would like to have done for a living in stead of what I actually done not an easy question to ask of your self, think about it, I loved my job selling but the wrong CEO took over and thats why I quit,
Never regretted it
Jimbo

Dawie

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 05:45:36 am »
I am on disability due to 2 minor strokes. One good thing from it is that I discovered the scroll saw in therapy. Before this I worked as a social worker in South Africa for 5 years at Mental Health. After coming back to the Netherlands I worked as groupleader in 2 homes for the mentally impaired. Now I go to a wood workshop twice a week, swim once a week, cycle as much as I can, got a nice trike, don't know the english for it, but looks like I am laying down on it. Will post photo when my pc is fixed, using my nephew's right now. Do some cleaning and gardening and spend lots of time scrolling.
David

sp_343

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010, 07:49:37 am »
I'm a State Trooper in Minnesota.  I have been doing this for about 8 years.  Before that I was a city Police Officer for 3 years.

I've got a couple extra duties, along with being a Trooper. I'm a peer counselor (help other officers after stressful situations) and a member of the Honor Guard (doing funerals, local events and other flag raising ceremonies).

Other than woodworking, I enjoy spending time with my wife and 2 kids.  Playing ball with our Golden Retriever.  Video games.  And watching my poor Chicago Cubs go down in flames for another year....

dankc908

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2010, 08:10:21 am »
I have been teaching philosophy, logic, ethics, and religion at a community college for the past 6 years.  Before that I taught computer studies for 11 years until the VP of Instruction needed a philosophy teacher and discovered that I had BA degrees in philosophy and social sciences with minors in history and theology and a Master's degree in theology.  Before that I was in the ministry for 11 wonderful and 2 absolutely miserable years.  I will retire in 5 or 6 years and will, then, do scrolling and penturning on a 'full-time' basis!

Dan

elp48

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 08:15:00 am »
I was in the Navy for 10 years in medical(X-Ray Tech when I got out). I then went into trucking. I was an over the road trucker for 25 years until I had my third heart attack and was forced into retirement. I lost 80% of my heart muscle and DOT said that was all. I have been on disability since then. Now all I do is scroll saw and play on computer. I try to make a little from my efforts on the scroll saw to help pay for my wood. I would not have changed anything during my life, it is nice to do nothing and be able to live the life you like.
Thanks,
Evan

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 09:09:26 am »
This box isn't big enough for me to list all my jobs.  The most fun one was wrangler on a dude ranch in Colorado.  4 yrs in USN then college and taught public school for 18 yrs.  Had my own antique shop then became a technical writer (procedure manuals) for a national motel chain.  Finally had a craft supply business (wholesale and retail).  Worked part time at Home Depot for 5 yrs before moving to MO and have been working for the Census since Feb. although that is about over.  Turn 71 this year so maybe it is time to retire for good although they are trying to sign me up as either a substitute teacher or substitute mail carrier.

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2010, 09:26:18 am »
I too am on disability. I have had Muscular Dystrophy for about 18 years now. I am 50. I was a cabinet maker most my life. I do most of my scroll work from my wheelchair. I married a Physical therapist almost 2 years ago. And I do remember my anniversary hehehhehe (July 12) She keeps me in the lap of luxury that I like. (sawdust).

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2010, 11:25:04 am »
I have been a technician for Xerox Corp for the last 31 years. It's been a great job but like all jobs has it's moments where you wonder why you are there. I would not change anything if I had it all to do over though. I started pretty young so I still have a few years before I retire. I'm only 52 now. I work on a group of machines we call Production equipment. The down side to that is we have to work 24/7 on a rotating standby schedule. It's not too bad but it does mean some long, late nights.

The picture below is our Igen production color digital press (Long winded way to say color copier) . Wonderful machine to work on but can be challenging for sure. I also service black and white production printers that are used by large companies to print payroll checks and things like that. When the payroll machines won't work people get very excited very fast. We have to respond to a service call in an average of 2 to 4 hours 24/7 which is why the late nights.

SMF

Teknoromi