Author Topic: cutting veneer - is it possible?  (Read 743 times)

tux_linux

cutting veneer - is it possible?
« on: January 07, 2011, 05:09:17 pm »
Hey!

Got some nice veneer here. It's thin as paper - 0.5mm (~1/50").

Can I cut this as thin as it is? Or do I have to double it? do I have to add a supporting layer?

regards
Torsten

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: cutting veneer - is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 05:23:18 pm »
Hey Torsten, Yes you need to "stack cut" your veneer. To do this add a layer of plywood to the top and bottom to make a stack. I would use 1/8" Baltic birch plywood, or something similar. Secure the stack with either clear packing tape, or masking tape. Doing this will give you better control of the work piece and prevent chip out of the veneer.
So what are you going to use the veneer for?
Dan In Southern California

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 06:17:06 pm »
I am with DG Man.  Stacking is the way to go.  I have been able to cut some very delicate veneer using this method.  It is fun to do several layers at once and you have nice little cut outs for overlays or whatever you may like. Have fun!

Sheila :)
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

tux_linux

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 06:48:09 pm »
OK, this sounds good  :)

I got to order wood and ordered a small "veneer mix" for fun. Today the postman brought a pretty huge stack of veneers along the wood. I wonder what to get if one orders a big venner mix??
I still don't know all the types of woods I have veneer of now ;D

I thought about my butterflies - I will try to cut some wings from the veneer. I hope this will look as nice as I imagine.

Steve has some really nice bookmarks, I might try these too. They will sell at all times.
And of all fails, I will double them cross layered and cut some Christmas ornaments or so.

regards
Torsten

SMF

Teknoromi