Author Topic: Oil when using backer boards  (Read 1269 times)

Offline bettyswood

• View Profile
Oil when using backer boards
« on: October 17, 2011, 05:29:52 pm »
I love the look of the oil - I use oak.  But when I use a backer board, I am concerned about what glue will hold the two pieces together.  Any ideas?

Offline Dan26

• South of Milford, Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Oil when using backer boards
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 06:17:03 pm »
I used BLO on some cherry and walnut once and tried using wood glue on the parts. Didn't hold at all. I was able to use gorilla glue, but because it foams up so much, I wouldn't recommend it for gluing on a backer board.
Dan (South of Milford, Ohio)

Courage - the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation.

SheGold

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 06:25:19 pm »
I've used Aileen's craft glue and it was ok... Sheila

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 06:33:16 pm »
Hey Betty, I use Aleen's tacky glue in the brown bottle. It will glue two oiled boards together as long as the oil has dried. Lemon oil never dries. I use a 50/50 mix of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits. The mineral spirits thins the oil and allows it to dry much faster. Once dry, you can glue things together with the tacky glue. But what I do is glue the backer board to the workpiece first, then soak the whole project at once. Then I us compressed air to remove the oil from between the two pieces and the fret holes.
Aleen's tacky glue is available at craft stores like Michaels or Hobby Lobby.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 09:24:20 pm »
I always do any gluing (usually Titebond II) before putting any finish on any thing. Or at least tape off any areas that will need to be glued later. Like water, glue and oil just don't mix even after the oil is dry.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 12:46:47 pm »
Hi Betty....  Dan lead me onto the Aileens Tacky Glue months ago.  I have always used the Titebond, but just tried the Aileens as a experiment.  Well my bottle of Titbond has all kinds of dust on it now.  Aileens is Great.
                                        Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 03:52:30 pm »
 I always use Titebond III, never had any problems, I'am hooked on the glue for both inside and out.  Edward

SMF

Teknoromi