Author Topic: Dowel storage  (Read 2382 times)

Spartan scroller

Dowel storage
« on: April 26, 2013, 11:53:00 am »
Hello Community:  Does anybody have a good system for storing dowels.  I have various lengths from three feet to three inches and they are just scattered all over the shop right now. Trying to come up with a system for organizing them.

Regards,
Terry
terrysscrollshoppe.com

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Dowel storage
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 05:57:39 pm »
Terry

I use pretty much the same system you do, so I can't help very much :(
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline bettyswood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 06:17:24 pm »
I tape mine all together with blue tape and stand them in a prominent corner. 

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 06:40:38 pm »
I use a 12-18" tall piece of 4" pvc pipe.  For the taller stock and the short stuff I place in a drawer.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

grampa sawdust

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 08:04:22 pm »
I used tube used for concrete pouring and cut to length i want and put them up in my sheds rafter and filled them with doles.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 08:52:58 pm »
I have three round cardboard mailing tubes of various lengths.   49" 30" and 17" all from things that I have bought or ordered over the years and came in the mail. They all have plastic plugs in the ends and I cover the "bottom" one with tape to keep it in place and to keep them from breaking out. The larger one is about 2-1/2" or 3" O.D.
I just stand them on end and store all my dowels, according to the length in each one, in a corner.
I would recommend that if you don't have any mailing tubes, see if you can find some plastic pipe and plug the ends with some wood cut round and fit snugly.

Rog

PS I would check with a UPS or FEDEX shipping station and see if they have any low cost mailing tubes available.
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Spartan scroller

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 09:46:20 pm »
All great suggestions guys.  Thank you too many.  I'm glad to learn I'm not the only one with dowels scattered all over the shop!

Regards
Terry
terrysscrollshoppe.com

alien11

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 11:33:23 am »
I use two tin cans of similar size. Nail one of them to the wall clos to the floor, open end up. The second one, with both top and bottom cut off nailed about 18 - 24" directly above the first. Long dowels pass thru the upper can and are supported in the lower, short pieces just sit in the lower.

Been using this scheme for about 20 years.

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 07:35:33 pm »
 go to a carpet store. when they use up a roll of carpet, you will have a 10 or 12 ft. tube. i forget
the length. cut all the tubes you want. termite

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 12:16:21 pm »
I use a similar system to my left over scrap from scrolling...the large pieces go on bottom, smaller pieces on top unless you have a large piece to lay down after a small piece then it goes on top, when the stack gets too high (wobbly) I start a stack on the right...then another on the left...then if necessary (and it always is) I start one in a different direction so the bottom pieces support the next pile...yeah that's kinda how it is...you should see my shop. :-\ :-\

Pete
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Scroll Down

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 03:59:51 am »
Cut a V in pieces of thin wood.
Nail to wall at regular intervals, I have exposed studs so this is easy.
For real short pieces I nail a V on either side of a stud giving me a cradle just 1 3/4 long.
Drop dowels.into.V.
Nothing fancy but it works :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 04:01:25 am by Scroll Down »

SMF

Teknoromi