Author Topic: finishing work  (Read 2399 times)

rochar3

finishing work
« on: December 27, 2011, 06:50:04 pm »
Hello,
I am rather new to scrolling and would like to know what everybody does to mount their work. I did a portrait of a dog out of 1/8 plywood and am at a loss as what to do to display same. What size backer board, do you paint the backer board. Etc.Etc.
Thanks for your help.
Bob

tux_linux

Re: finishing work
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 08:13:55 pm »
Frame it. That looks best.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 08:44:56 pm »
When I have a 1/8" project I always frame it some how. You can find nice frames at craft stores (Michael's or JoAnn) cheaper frames can be found at Walmart, dollar stores or thrift stores. I really like matting the project before framing (basically a piece of cardboard center the wood and frame) you can also make your own frames. You can buy picture frame molding from Menards, Lowes, Home Depot or similar places. Making a frame is really nice if the project is an odd size.
When I buy a frame I usually use felt (charcoal or black mostly)  or printed cardstock (found in the scrapbook section of craft stores) . When I make a frame I stain the backer darker then the front and use 1/8" ply.

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 09:25:21 pm »
I usually use the same size backer board and make it out of 1/8 plywood.  Any thicker and you will have a hard time fitting it in a standard frame.  I spray paint my backer with a flat black finish.  As mrsn said many people use felt or card stock, which you can buy at any craft shop, these give you more variety of color.

I use Arlene's tacky glue.  It is clear, and it also dries clear, which helps the glue not to show.  I don't use glass.  I take the glass out for two reasons.  I don't like the glare and it keeps the piece thin enough to fit well in the frame.

This may be too obvious :), but I use good plywood for my piece (baltic birch) and the cheap stuff for the backer.  I usually watch for sales or make my own frames.  But I have had pieces that I had professionally framed.  This depends on how nice the piece is or to who(m?) I am trying to impress.

Barry
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 09:29:44 pm by Barry »

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 11:09:39 pm »
Everybody has their favorite ways of mounting portraits. first I use either 1/8" Baltic birch or Oak plywood for the portrait. I'll use either plywood for the backer. I like a natural wood look for the backer, so I usually stain it. I make my own frames. This way I'm not restricted to whatever size frame I can find. I cut a keyhole in the top of the frame to hang.
Dan In Southern California

Offline BigPete

• Bonnie Scotland !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 04:26:46 am »
I am also just learning about the different methods used to finish off projects and have just bought some black felt to try , and i have made myself a sled for my tablesaw to also make my own frames .
Dan , when you say a keyhole is this like a slot where you can move it to keep it straight and how deep is it? , do you make you own moulding ? ..Pete
War does not determine who is right - Only who is left !

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 08:47:03 am »
I buy frames at the $ store and use colored construction the same size.

tux_linux

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 09:07:05 am »
can you show the portrait of the dog? Maybe we can suggest some.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 12:09:32 pm »
I am also just learning about the different methods used to finish off projects and have just bought some black felt to try , and i have made myself a sled for my tablesaw to also make my own frames .
Dan , when you say a keyhole is this like a slot where you can move it to keep it straight and how deep is it? , do you make you own moulding ? ..Pete
The key hole is cut with a router on a router table with a bit called a keyhole bit. It is designed to hang flush to the wall with a screw or nail. Here is a link: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2008092/6374/Whiteside-3050-Carbide-Picture-Hanger-Router-Bit-14-SH-38-DX-716-CL.aspx
And yes, I make my own molding, although i keep it very simple. I usually use 1/2" to 5/8" stock to make my frames.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 12:11:04 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Offline BigPete

• Bonnie Scotland !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 12:45:38 pm »
Thanks for that Dan , i will see if i can source a bit over here.. Pete

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 01:02:11 pm »
I also make my own frames so I'm not restricted to whatever size frame. I just mount a sawtooth Hanger on the back. The backer depends on the look I want for that project. Sometimes I use no backer and leave it open.   8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 01:06:33 pm »
i frame mine and use different color felt for the backer.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 01:24:25 pm »
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline chelcass

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 01:36:50 pm »
I usually get my frames from yard sales, goodwill store or any charity shop (cheap, cheap, cheap 10 cents to a dollar).  I use the glass for other projects (gog) and the frame part I can cut to whatever size I need. If the frame has a backboard already I will use that.
ChelCass

Offline BigPete

• Bonnie Scotland !
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 08:53:17 am »
Thanks Keefie i will order one , Russ i like the idea of the sawtooth hanger ,i just looked at some canvas picture i had made and they were finished with them  ::) ...Pete

SMF

Teknoromi