Author Topic: scroll saw review  (Read 2148 times)

kardar2

scroll saw review
« on: September 10, 2011, 11:21:30 am »
Hello All,

I read the review from woodworkers Journal, I had a an old Delta and loved it. When I upgraded to my Excalibur 21 I gave my old delta to my son. I am glad to see them still making a good saw even with the P C name on it. My question : Where do you get the hose and attachments to fit both the saw and shop vac. thanks Karl 

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: scroll saw review
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 11:23:57 am »
Karl...try PeachTree...
their catalog shows all manner of connectors and adapters to set up your dust collection system.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 12:03:24 pm »
Or make your own!
Dan In Southern California

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 02:43:19 pm »
I have one of these to connect my shop vac to my saw

http://www.lowes.com/pd_37045-20097-9068711_4294814062_4294937087_?productId=1085001&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Shop%2BVac%2BAccessories_4294814062_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C0%7C%7Cp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

saggioculo

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 07:27:13 pm »
I looks like the review favored the Porter-Cable scroll saw...less the $200.  I'm seriously looking to buy a new one and being new to scroll sawing I wasn't sure which brand would suit my needs/skills.  I'm now considering the Porter-Cable.  At least it's in my price range and I won't have to use pin end blades anymore.
Anyone have any opinion on this saw?

Thanks
Anne

Mainewoods

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 07:51:39 pm »
Anne, I own this saw.  While it's not as smooth and fancy as the Dewalts, Excaliburs or Hegners, it's a very capable saw.  If the more expensive saws are out of your budget, I'm sure you'll be satisfied with the PC.  Feel free to ask me anything about it.

MW

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 07:59:30 pm »
I tried it in the store once, it was pretty good. It looks like my hitachi, and I believe that it is essentially the same saw. (some brand bought out another type of thing) I love my Hitachi and still use it along side my hegnar.

saggioculo

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 09:24:00 pm »
Is Delta still a good brand?  Years ago when I worked in a middle school, the wood shop had all Delta equipment.  I loved that big ol' band saw.  I was devastated to learn that all the equipment was stripped down and thrown away.  The board of ed simply couldn't be bothered with advertising the equipment and taking bids.  I guess the weathly school district didn't need the money.  Tax payers would be livid if they knew the waste that goes on in their school districts.
I'm gone off topic here. 
Anyway, I have alot of old Delta hand tools and they've never let me down.  Who carries Porter-Cable?  I've never even heard of them. 

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 02:05:43 am »
Porter Cable is sold by Lowes. PC has been making machinery for years. Good question where any of these saws are built now. A couple of the high end are built on this continent but I'm pretty sure the rest are foreign made.
Dewalt was bought out by Delta, and then I believe the whole thing was sold again.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

saggioculo

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 11:30:57 am »
So, I went to Lowes website to check out the PC scroll saw.  They had two different models.  The one with the stand got 3 out of 5 stars while the other model (without a stand) got 4 out of 5 stars.  I read the reviews and either people loved it or hated it....no in betweens.  People who hated it had the same complaints...hard to change the blade, too much vibration, not durable.  People who loved the saw said, easy to change blade, quality product, easy to use. 
I know $200 may not be alot to some folks but on a fixed income it's huge.  I really try to do my research when making a big purchase...I hate when there are such mixed reviews. 
Honestly, people say Ryobi is really the bottom of the barrel for scroll saws, but other then the pin end blades, I've not had a problem with mine.  My current problem with the saw is the blades breaking, but I'm also using a thicker, harder wood then I've ever used before on this saw.  So, I think my lack of skill is more then likely the cause of the blades breaking.  Also, not being able to get quality blades with pin ends could be contributing to the problem as well. 
I apologize for the whinning...I get nervous making a big purchase like this and want to make absolutely sure I'm getting the most for the $$.  I'm still thinking about getting the PC...just cold feet I guess.
Thanks
Anne

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 11:38:00 am »
anne-
Take a blade with you the next time you go look at the PC. Try putting it in and out to see if you like it. Find an outlet and turn the saw on. Take a small piece of wood with you and make a cut or two.
Also, Lowes has a pretty good return policy. So keep the box for a bit after you get the saw home.

Mainewoods

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 09:34:39 pm »
Anne,

PM'd ya!

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 01:27:47 am »
Anne
All of us on limited incomes share your dilemma, no need to apologize, we've been there too.
Take your time it will still be there next week!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 10:52:42 am »
You should also keep an eye on craigslist.com.  Sometimes there are some really good deals on the dewalt or other saws.  A friend got a Dewalt for $250 that had been barely used at all.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

saggioculo

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 11:51:41 am »
Thanks Gabby...I often feel like a 5 yr old having to wait until I blow out the candles before I can open my birthday presents.   :-[

SMF

Teknoromi