Author Topic: Sloan's Plywood  (Read 1219 times)

Offline TripleB

• Simply put, I love Scrolling!
    • View Profile
    • Scroll Saw Paradise
Sloan's Plywood
« on: May 07, 2011, 06:20:10 pm »
I know a lot of people here get their BB from Sloan's, I'm curious about the other plywoods they sell such as the Walnut, Maple, Mahogany ect.

Has anyone used them? How well do the other plywoods work for scroll saw projects and how well do they cut? Is it a good value at Sloans or are there other outlets? Would it be better to just buy the hardwood even though it can be difficult to find in thin pieces (I don't have a planer yet).  Any input is appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 06:39:51 pm by TripleB »

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Sloan's Plywood
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 07:04:10 pm »
Hey Bob, I have not tried their other plywoods but have heard good reports. I have tried the 1/8" oak plywood from Woodcraft and is excellent!. The stuff at Home Depot is not good for scrolling, but OK for backer boards.
Sounds like you need to ask Santa for a planer! Both DeWalt planers will plane stock down to 1/8". I have a DW 733 which is no longer available. But the 734 and 735 will do the job.
As for hardwoods, I would rather use them for just about all scroll work except for portrait type projects. When I don't have wood to plane down, I order from www.ocoochhardwoods.com. I have always been pleased with the woods I have received from them.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 07:09:52 pm by dgman »
Dan In Southern California

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 08:16:29 am »
I have gotten mahogany,red oak and walnut plywood from them and was pleased with what they sent.  I have also gotten maple and it was thicker then what it's listed as.

Joesawdust

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 02:36:46 pm »
I'll echo Paw Paw Ray's comment, all my thin plywood comes from them and has since about 2000 or 2001. I will pick up the occasional piece of 1/4" red oak or birch from the local Lowe's, but that's all they carry.

Greg

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 11:06:05 pm »
Hi Bob -

The hardwood ply from Sloan's is excellent.  I have used it mainly for backing, it looks really good when doing some of Sue Mey's crosses and plaques, with BB ply.

The hardwood ply tends to tear out when used for cutting.  In those cases actual hardwood is best.  As dgman said, a planer is great to have. 

Sloan's is a good product at a good price.  Great service as well.  You can't go wrong with them.

Barry

SMF

Teknoromi