Author Topic: Dust mask really needed?  (Read 2124 times)

Offline lwilli

• View Profile
Re: Dust mask really needed?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 10:47:49 am »
It is indeed personal preference, but your preference should be to wear it. I always wear a mask and glasses. I also went as far to add an air cleaning unit from Rockler for my shop. After I witnessed the amount of air borne dust that is collected in the filter from the air cleaner I am very glad I wear the mask. That filter could represent your lungs. If you enjoy this art then you should try and preserve your health as long as possible to further enjoy making projects and wearing a mask is a small price to pay.

Louis
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 11:03:54 am by lwilli »
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 10:51:05 am »
I've only been given 1 set of lungs.  I try and remember to wear a dust mask all the time when cutting or sanding.  I also have the delta air purifier hung from the ceiling.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

CNLNC

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 11:08:48 am »
So, it seems that the overwelming response is that scrollers should wear a mask, but some don't even though they know they should.
In my case, there are so many other things I come in contact with that I should be protecting my lungs from but don't, then what's a little sawdust. I know that is a terrible attitude, and that I should try and protect my lungs when ever possible, an ounce of prevention and all that.

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. At the minimum I will look into providing better ventilation in my work area. Hope you all got something out of this post.

Now go make some sawdust and hold your breath... ;D

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 10:44:41 pm »
I use a series of dust extractors that I have put on the forum one under the saw and the other on top of the saw and when cutting MDF I always wear a mask, some said they have an air purifier they are very good but not in the ceiling as you are drawing the dust up past your face so you must be inhaling it
After you have finished in your work shop for the day wipe your saw bench down and the next day see if there is dust on it
Jimbo

SMF

Teknoromi