Author Topic: Dust mask really needed?  (Read 2125 times)

CNLNC

Dust mask really needed?
« on: April 19, 2011, 10:54:16 am »
Hey everyone, i've seen in a few different posts over time the mention of some people wearing a dust mask while scrollsawing. Is it really needed? Or is it just personal preference.
Does the scrollsaw make that much dust to be concerned with? Just wondering, and thought it would be good to bring up the topic.
I personally do not wear a mask, but was wondering what you all thought.

Thanks ;D

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: Dust mask really needed?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 10:56:34 am »
Scrollsaw dust is so fine that it is easily breathed in.  It is highly recommended to wear a good dust mask because of that.  Also, some woods are highly toxic.  I found that out the hard way.  I still forget to put one on sometimes but I do pay for it later.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 11:00:48 am »
It is well know that wood dust is a carcinogen. It's not as bad as nicotine, but is dangerous. Some people will develop sensitivity to wood dust also. So yes, you should use a dust mask.
Personally, I don't.
Dan In Southern California

ShadowB6

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 11:05:22 am »
When I was using my Ryobi saw the blower used to blow the dust right back at you, so wearing a mask was a must. With the EX21 I have it set up to blow the dust away from me so I don't bother wearing one. But as Julief said, the particles are so fine that it is almost a guarantee that I'm still breathing in some wood dust. I believe that long term exposure would surely start to affect one's respiratory system. If I was young again (wishful thinking on my part) I think I'd get into the habit of always wearing one.

Mike

chief

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 11:42:51 am »
When ever doing wood working you should wear a mask.  Some woods are extremely bad to breath.  I know cedar is one that is real bad, and a lot of tropical woods are bad.  Teak is bad because of the silica in it.  Some people dont have problems with the dust and others have really bad reactions to the saw dust. 

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 12:09:53 pm »
I wear one when doing certain woods, especially MDF! That is not sawdust but a combination of minute wood fibers and adhesives and is so fine it goes everywhere!

In general I keep a fan blowing 'across the saw table' and that keeps most of the particulates moving away from my breathing area.
Also working in the garage with the overhead door almost always fully open helps greatly.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 02:25:36 pm »
I never used to wear one, had so many breathing problems, mostly just starting to choke when not near my saw, I had to get a mask, no problems now but I am still very sensitive to any dust, even pepper. Wish I'd have started using one sooner.
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 05:09:49 pm »
I have one and try to wear it when ever I am cutting, but I don't always remember. I am better about remebering it when I am sanding, so that must help a bit.

chief

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 05:20:10 pm »
Definitely wear one when cutting man made materials like MDF, a lot of them are made using fermaldahyde (sp?).

bluesuede

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 08:23:07 pm »
My breathing isn't great at the best of times, using puffers daily so I generally wear a mask when cutting. It's a pain in the butt sometimes cause your glasses steam up or you have to take it off to blow dust away and I sometimes forget to put it back on but for me it is a necessity.

I like GrayBeards use of the fan.

So is a dust mask really needed, it's your choice, better safe than sorry...

Bruce ;D

ShadowB6

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 08:43:20 pm »
Bluesuede, if you go to a medical supply outfit you can get what is called "N95" masks that seal tight around your face so that your glasses won't fog up. I've tried them and they're great for this purpose.

bluesuede

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 09:04:44 pm »
Thanks ShadowB6, I will check them out...
Bruce ;D

RWEC

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 10:21:22 pm »
I have the blower angled to blow away from me left to right and a pickup from my dust collector hovering over the table back right so the dust is blown toward it and then picked up.

I used to get a fair buildup on the project and table but now next to nothing.

I admit I can't see it if it's 5 micron size but my thought is that if I'm picking up the bigger stuff, the little stuff is being sucked up too.

Having said that, I've been wrong before.

Randy

ChuckD

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 10:48:47 pm »
A good test..  If you wear glasses, and you should, if they get dust on them you are breathing it..  Simple as that!!!!

tux_linux

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 03:24:23 am »
My wood shop needs a "mask" rather more than me.

I personally never wear a mask while in the shop. I wear "Mickey Mouse ears" when loud machines are in use like the router.

I also consider the scroll saw not to be such a big deal in making dust - there are certainly other, more dust producing forms of woodwork. The projects are also not that big.

regards
Torsten

SMF

Teknoromi